Black Library Weekender

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: Black Library Weekender

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:56 pm

I think every session I have something I could sit in on.

I should probably sit in on something all the time so as to tweet about stuff. Am looking forward to it, and seeing the familiar faces.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Priorities for me are;

-Get the advance release books, especially Fabius Bile: Clonelord.
-Meet CL Werner and get, among other things, my Thanquol and Boneripper trilogy signed.
-Attend the Writing Anti-Heroes, Creation of a Space Marine Chapter and Writing the Stormcast Eternals panels.
-Ask Dan Abnett when Penitent is coming. I want Cherubael back! (And Eisenhorn I guess...)

Other then that i'm just looking forward to discussing Black Library with like-minded folks. Something I almost never get to do outside of a forum.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Squiggle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:49 am

Schafer - the Twitter details are in your inbox.

everyone - have a great weekend!!
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:42 am

Great to see you all at the Weekender, I hope you had fun. It was good to chat about books, GW and life in general.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:34 am

Gav Thorpe was the author who lasted the longest on Saturday night. If anyone needs any more reason to be impressed by him.
schaferwhat‽

Postby MalkyDel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 pm

I feel like a good time was had by all.

Highlight for me was probably Guy Haley's reading of Wolfsbane's prologue.
MalkavianDelirium

<3 Fan of Erebus <3

Then one day at Istvaan III,
Horus came to say.
"Fulgrim with your clothes so bright,
won't you help me slay tonight?"
Then all the rebels loved him
And they shouted out with glee.
"Fulgrim the Traitor Primarch,
you'll go down in history!"
MalkyDel

Postby Pyroriffic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:05 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Gav Thorpe was the author who lasted the longest on Saturday night. If anyone needs any more reason to be impressed by him.

I still have fond memories of a Games Day where Jim and I outlasted everyone, even Graham, and it was like, 4am or something bloody stupid when we went to bed.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:59 pm

MalkyDel wrote:I feel like a good time was had by all.

Indeed, it was my first Weekender and I had a grand time. Will definitely be back in Nottingham next year, though if there's both a BLL and Weekender i'll have to choose one.

I wasn't there for that but it can't have been better than his stint as an Ork Warboss. :lol:

Highlight for me was my own brief stint as one with Toby Longworth, and spending about 10 minutes in line to meet Dan Abnett with Robbie MacNiven and talking about Archaon and the Varanguard. And of course meeting Mr Clint Lee Werner, the master of rats!

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby MalkyDel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:00 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:
MalkyDel wrote:I feel like a good time was had by all.

Indeed, it was my first Weekender and I had a grand time. Will definitely be back in Nottingham next year, though if there's both a BLL and Weekender i'll have to choose one.

I wasn't there for that but it can't have been better than his stint as an Ork Warboss. :lol:

Highlight for me was my own brief stint as one with Toby Longworth, and spending about 10 minutes in line to meet Dan Abnett with Robbie MacNiven and talking about Archaon and the Varanguard. And of course meeting Mr Clint Lee Werner, the master of rats!

LotN

You did grand :D

Hope to see you again next year :D
MalkavianDelirium

<3 Fan of Erebus <3

Then one day at Istvaan III,
Horus came to say.
"Fulgrim with your clothes so bright,
won't you help me slay tonight?"
Then all the rebels loved him
And they shouted out with glee.
"Fulgrim the Traitor Primarch,
you'll go down in history!"
MalkyDel

Postby Major Rawne » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:57 pm

It was great to see the weekender come back, it's been a long couple of years. Was great to see old faces again and see some new ones. Although the whole event felt very familiar, it also felt fresh and new with what was a largely new BL team running the show (they even had some poor girl on the tills for her first day).

There was also a small shift in the seminars away from previous Q&A's with 'X' author to more conversational pieces. Chris Wraight's was fantastically enjoyable to listen to, especially as Dan Abnett joined in. Evening entertainment wise it was a shame Pitchfactor was dropped, however in it's place was the hilarious live audio drama.

Here's to next year.
Major Rawne

Postby Death Nikorps » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi everyone, I'm the man behind The Black Librarium and I was gently asked on twitter to come here when I want if I have some news. I used to come here, but less since at least 1 or 2 years, I was busy by my own forum/twitter. But, as I have done a summary of the Weekender on my forum, I though some here would like to read it too. And, I know english speakers are not very fond of google translation of other languages, so I've made specially for you this english version of it. It's based on all I learned during the Weekender, I took notes, and what I saw on the internet during or after (others have shared news on forum, FB or twitter). It is, I think, all we learned during the Weekender. Hope you'll enjoy. ;)

SUMMARY

I am going to divide this article into two sections: NEWS, which will be about the releases, and ADDITIONAL, which will concern the seminars.

NEWS

Horus Heresy

- Neil Roberts is not going to work on a new graphic novel, since the production would take too much time.

- Guy Haley is going to release his new HH Wolfsbane at the beginning of the year. It will be on pre- sale at the Horus Heresy Weekender in February, but since it’s placed, theoretically, after The Burden of Loyalty, which is to be released in February, I am afraid that it will be released later (April/May). The introduction tells us about the discovery of Fenris and Leman by the Emperor and Horus. It is the first time Horus meets one of his brothers, and he does everything he can to persuade the Emperor to destroy this barbaric civilization, explaining that Leman does not deserve to be at his own level. We can see the birth of the rivalry between them, since Horus thinks that he will ever be the first among the Primarchs. The book itself begins on Terra, the Khan is already there, Sanguinius has just arrived, Dorn is refining the defenses and Russ watches over the Sol system. However, the latter cannot stand the waiting, he is the Emperor’s executioner and he wants to face Horus. His scouts come back with information about what happened on Molech, Russ realizes that he will not be able to defeat Horus (who has become too powerful), but he still wants to find a way to weaken him. This book brings a great deal of fluff on Beta Gamon, it shows the first fight between the Space Wolves and the Sons of Horus, and it takes place before Yarant. The book’s true focus is on Leman Russ, his personality, his psychology. It is a pivotal moment in his existence, the book shows us some sort of “mentality compromise” between the Russ of the Great Crusade and the one of the Scouring, which is about to come. This book promises to be very interesting; it is going to influence Slaves to Darkness by John French, which takes place later.

- Guy Haley will release at least another Horus Heresy book, maybe more if he has the chance. He is going to work on a new book of the Primarchs series as well.

- John French is currently working on Slaves to Darkness. The story is, according to him, the last novel before the Siege itself (what about the fall of the Death Guard? Guy Haley said that another author is supposed to work on that, but no more info). Horus will be the main primarch, all his allied brothers will appear at some point, except Curze, and he is going to force the blocus of the Sol system. The book will show the primarchs under their demoniac form; however, they don’t know how to handle these transformations yet, so they are less powerful than in 40k. The book’s aim is to show that the renegades are submitted to the Gods of Chaos, the choice of power/revenge over freedom/autonomy.

- The siege of Terra is going to happen shortly, there will be at least 3 novels about it, some novellas, a number of short stories. It is the most important battle of the series, they want to do it right and take their time. Many well-known characters are going to die.

- We will see Belisarius Cawl in the Heresy’s sequel.

- David Annandale is writing the next book of the Primarch series, Vulkan: Lord of Drakes. He has finished the first draft during the weekender before taking his flight back to Canada.

- There won’t be any novel about the episode Titan Death/Beta Garmon of HH.

- Dan Abnett will write again for HH once he will be finished with his Gaunt in 2018, and the sequel of Pariah. Right for the end of the Siege.

- Josh Reynolds has created a sequel for his audio Blackshields, whose title is The Red Fief.

- The perpetuals are going to return in force in the latest arc of HH, they are going to play an important role.

- The presence of the Eldars was confirmed when asked; we’re going to see the sequel of the story about the Cabal, as well as other things.

Warhammer 40K

- Space Marine Conquests: War of Secrets, by Phil Kelly will be about some Dark Angels who will track down a Fallen in a Tau world, which was isolated from their empire by the warp rifts. Afterwards, we will see the world of the Angels of Absolution, a Chapter descending from the DA, which will be corrupted by the Fallen mentioned above. The Taus in this book are peculiar, they have been isolated from the rest of their race throughout decades. The Tau race tries to expand its conquests by working on new technologies, which would allow them to run faster than light’s speed: since the Eldars have the webway and the humans own the warp technology, they want something of their own to go faster and farther. For this reason, they are going to study the human’s warp technology, but this is going to be very dangerous. The Taus of this planet have experienced the warp’s atrocities because of their isolation and the great rift, they are traumatized by what they saw and they don’t want the Tau empire to work on these new technologies. As far as the DA are concerned, they end up having some Primaris in their ranks and this causes problems, since they don’t want to reveal their secrets to the newcomers. So, they us the Primaris as cannon fodders giving them no explanation whatsoever. However, the Primaris start wondering why they are constantly sent to the front line and denied of any role of responsibility. The book is therefore going to talk about the difficult adjustment of the DA and their secrets, with the arrival of new Primaris forces within the Chapter; the DA are officially leaving the Tau, but unofficially chasing down a Fallen, hiding this from the Primaris. Shas O’Kais will be the chief of Tau forces, he is very skilled and trained, since his capsule opened 300 years earlier when he was cryogenically frozen with Shadowsun. He spent this time simulating fights and battles…

- Phil Kelly is going to work on a sequel of Farsight, which is going to take place on Arthas Moloch and will show the first encounter between the Taus and the Chaos.

- Space Marine Conquest: the devastation of Baal, by Guy Haley, is very thick (510 pages in trade paperback format). It’s the thickest book he has ever written. It will be about the great battle for Baal between the Blood Angels (allied with all their successor Chapters except one) and the Tyranids, many well-known characters are going to die.

- The sequel of Dark Imperium has not been written yet, it is supposed to be about the duel between Mortarion and Guilliman, but Haley has been lacking the time to work on it.

- The second book about the Carcharodons: Outer Dark, by Robbie MacNiven, will be released before next Summer. The author is very happy about it and he hopes that It will be as successful as the first one among fans. Tyberios, the Master of Chapters, will appear and fight a little. In the book there will be an example of Great Tithe, when the Chapter grabs all the resources of a world.

- His Primaris Space Marines book, titled Blood of Iax, is the one about Ultramarines.

- Andy Smillie has been working on an audio Flesh Tearers named Hunger, which has Gabriel Seth in it. He’s also working for other FT stuff (novel or novella).

- George Mann is working on Raven Guard, an audio drama called Soul Bond is going to be released in 2018.

- Darius Hinks is going to release a sequel for Mephiston in 2018, named Revenant Crusade.

- Sandy Mitchell is back with a new Ciaphas Cain novel, called Choose Your Enemies.

- John French is about to finish the second book of the series Horusian Wars.

- David Annandale had thought about writing a third Yarrick, the direct sequel of Pyres of Armageddon, but the sales were not as high as expected, so BL made him work on other stuff. But should the new fluff give more importance to Yarrick, he could be back working on the character.

- Castellan, the second book about the Grey Knights, will show how they adjust to the changes of the universe with many demoniac invasions everywhere, thanks to the loopholes. Canoness Sethano will be in it.

- Urdesh, by Matthew Farrer, about the Iron Snakes, which was supposed to be released at the same time as Warmaster, is a little late but should be released shortly (in less than 5 months according to the info).

- BL would love to release a new series like The Beast Arises (1 book per month for a year), which would talk about unexplored events of the background (Occlusiad War, Nova Terra etc.)

- The Magos, by Dan Abnett, was supposed to be a short story, but it was too long, so he decided to make a novella, however it ended up being a novel. Theoretically, it is not just a collection of old stories but a re-writing, aiming to create a whole book taking place before Pariah and after the two Eisenhorn/Ravenor trilogies. According to the author, it is not an optional book; in fact, an element of the story will become crucial in the Bequin trilogy. We will have more information about Cherubael.

- Penitent, the Pariah sequel, is the project following Anarch (latest Gaunt of the Victory arc). The third novel of the trilogy will be called Pandemonium.

- There will be another Gaunt arc after Victory, made up of 3 or 4 books. It will be the last.

- Dan really wants to write Inception City. It is supposed to take place in the ruins of a Hive City, were the chasers will become the chased, the pilots will have to cope with such an inhospitable field of combat.

- Aaron Dembski-Bowden is working on The Emperor’s Spears, about a whole new Chapter. They are peculiar, they have been isolated from the Imperium for 100 years due to the warp rift, they have been decimated over time without ever being sent reinforcement from the Imperium. However, the latter had sent them a regiment of Primaris, but it never arrived due to some troubles. They are descendants of the Ultramarines, but they don’t care, they don’t follow the Codex, do not respect Guilliman and don’t believe in his resurrection. When the Imperium gets in touch with them, there’s no more than one survivor left, and he will have to use Primaris.

- The Lords of Silence, by Chris Wraight, should be the first book of a trilogy about the Death Guard.

- Legacy of Dorn marks the great return of Mike Lee for BL and his Crimson Fists.

- Titan’s Bane is an audio by Chris Dows.

- The latter is working on an audio, which is the sequel of his book The Red Path, and shows the fate of the Angels Eradicant during the Salandraxis massacre (half of the Chapter + the Master get killed).

- John French is going to release an audio Truth and Dreams, the sequel of his series Agent of the Throne, which started with Blood and Lies.

- Andy Clark would love to write another story with Alpha Legion from Shroud of Night.

- Gav Thorpe is working on the sequel of Ghost Warrior, named Wild Rider, in which they’re going to face some Nécrons.

- Ian St. Martin is working on an audio named Taker of Heads about the Mortifactors Chapter.

Age of Sigmar

- Black Talon is a novel whose focus is on the female Stormcast character, Neave Blacktalon. It was written by Andy Clark.

- David Annandale is going to release a book named Neferata, in order to show what she becomes in AoS.

- Nagash the Undying King, by Josh Reynolds, will be released in exclusive limited edition at Warhammer World, and afterwards to the public.

- Some Skaven about the Skyre Clan should arrive in 2018.

- An audio (4 hours long if I’m not mistaken) about Gotrek without Felix (he’s dead). First appearance of the famous dwarf in the AoS universe.

- CL Werner is working on a book about the Order of Azyr, the new Witch Hunter of AoS. But he also stated that it will be different from his Thulmann trilogy.

- David Guymer is working on a series about Hamilcar Bear-Eater.

- There is going to be a trilogy with some characters from City of Secrets by Nick Horth, named Silver Shards.

- Little bonus, merely personal and about the Old World, Josh Reynolds told me that he would love so much to write the third and last novel of the vampires trilogy, Blood Dragon. He said he was going to constantly ask BL to do it. And perhaps, who knows, one day he will be able to. Personally, I would really love to see it released by surprise in an omnibus edition (since they are releasing the Time of Legends trilogy, it is supposed to come… I would like it so much to find this novel in it, even though I don’t have much hope… The fans and the author want this book!).

ADDITIONAL

I took notes during some of the seminars, not for all of them (I was super tired and sometimes nothing interesting was being said). Most of my notes are in the “News” section above, here’s the rest.

Space Marine Conquest: A war-torn new Space Marine series

According to the authors, working on the Primaris is different. They are new Marines, they’re still “fresh”, they don’t have the old ones’ culture, which makes their behavior different from classic Marine’s. Furthermore, they have been created in 30K but they haven’t been used until 40K, it’s a big cultural shock for them. Somehow, Primaris are more human, they don’t have the same barrier as Marines with civilians, they don’t have secrets to hide as the majority of the Chapters.

The Space Marine Conquest series is about the fluff’s evolutions, whereas Space Marine Battles was more about ancient battles. The first 5 books concern some Chapters’ archetypes (Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Ultramarines, and the last one has not been revealed yet).

Pitching: How to pitch and what to pitch for Black Library

Guy Haley used to work as a journalist, he was always passionate about writing. However, it took him some time to succeed, one must persevere. He even wrote a whole novel for a publisher who in the end decided not to release it. This made the author ask himself many questions, some people wouldn’t stop telling him that he shouldn’t go on with Science Fiction, because it wasn’t serious or profitable. He knew Nick Kyme, who wanted him to work for BL, but he was very reluctant at first, then they asked him to write Baneblade, so he decided to try. He went on with Skarsnik.

Yes, one of the best BL author had almost given up writing.

The authors talked about BL granting authors way more freedom than a few years ago (when a great crisis forced Abnett to quit). Earlier, novels had to be tabletop, which means they had to talk about the codex’s background, portray battles as games, characters had to come from figurines etc. Nowadays, BL encourages them to work more on the atmosphere, the universe, etc.

When you make a pitch for a story, you have to be concise and direct. If you’re unable to explain yourself in a few lines, you won’t be able to do it in a novel. In a few words, one must explain the guidelines and major issues and where they want to lead. You mustn’t express an idea, and when you’re asked where this will lead, answer “well, we’ll see”. You’re supposed to know what you’re going to do in the pitch, from the beginning to the end.

Other

The origins of Charcharodons are well defined, Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Alan Blight have been working on it. Very few people know about it, Robbie MacNiven is one of them. He left many clues in his first novel and he’s going to leave more in the future, but he thinks this information will always stay secret by GW, like the two missing primarchs. He had some fun reading fans’ theories on the internet, and he thinks it’s funny that some of them are right, but they will never know. Unlike the Dark Angels, the origins of the Chapter are not hidden, they are taught to the neophytes. Charchardons are pro-Imperium (the organization itself) but not pro-Humanity in general (that’s why they mistreat them).

Neil Roberts spent two entire days working with his magnifying glass on the crowd’s faces in the artwork of The Burden of Loyalty, this badly affected his eyes and he cast a shadow on a section in order to go faster.

--------------------------------------------------

You can see some pics, artworks, covers here in spoiler tags:

http://www.black-librarium.com/t4366-th ... ews#170412

And that's all. ;)
Last edited by Death Nikorps on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All new Black Library titles & covers here:

===> https://twitter.com/blacklibrarium <===

Black Library upcoming books 2018
;)
Death Nikorps

Postby Squiggle » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi DeathNikorps thanks for taking the time to come and post your write up - really interesting especially for those of us who couldn't make it.

I know it's a translation error, but "perseverate" is definitely my new favourite word!!!

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Death Nikorps » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:24 pm

really interesting especially for those of us who couldn't make it.

That's why I'm doing it. :)

Squiggle wrote:I know it's a translation error, but "perseverate" is definitely my new favourite word!!!

I changed it in the summary, and now I know the difference between persevere and perseverate. :D

"As verbs the difference between persevere and perseverate is that persevere is to persist steadfastly in pursuit of an undertaking, task, journey, or goal, even if hindered by distraction, difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement while perseverate is describing the behavior, generally displayed by those with various developmental disabilities, of extraordinary, exclusive and lasting obsession to a detail or occurrence others consider minor."

In french there is only one word, "persévérer". ;)
All new Black Library titles & covers here:

===> https://twitter.com/blacklibrarium <===

Black Library upcoming books 2018
;)
Death Nikorps

Postby Squiggle » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Death Nikorps wrote:
In french there is only one word, "persévérer". ;)

:D

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby HungryP » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Oh how I wish the Weekender wasn't a several thousand dollar prospect for me, being way over in Canada.

Since Squiggle mentioned it in Gav's blog post, I'll just come right out and ask, did they give any specifics on an upcoming submission window, or just that it's coming?
HungryP

Postby Xisor » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:09 pm

To my recollection: only that it was coming. They hadn't pinned down details, but were expecting early/Spring next year.

---- vague waffle follows, deduced from the seminars I attended ----

They seemed quite buoyant about the idea though. And fairly clear that they need a good idea of "what it's about", married to a feeling that they are confident you can make good on the pitch. They also said flexibility is key: don't adversarial/too protective if the idea - rather look at any pitch as a collaboration with editors. They'll keep you focussed on what they think will work (or more mercenarily: what they think they can get the acquisitions team to buy and confidently sell), whilst you feed in the creative hard labour.

They don't want to dissuade people as such, but to remind everyone that it's not a personal criticism if they want changes (or, indeed, aren't buying what you're selling). To that end their key recommendation sounded to be: keep reading and keep writing.

Everyone'll need to throw quite a lot of writing at the wall before even a few people start to find out what sticks, so to speak. Which in some sense is a bit grim, but on the other hand: it's quite heartening. More writing will be better than more navel-gazing/analysis. (Having a think is fine, but the temptation to overthink sounds like a massive siren luring you to rocky waters!)

And given that there's presumably hundreds of amateur/hobbyist writers for every single published writer, that probably means that it's a buyers marker too... so there's very little pressure/incentive for editors to give detailed red-pen feedback when they've already got other work to do. (That makes it all sound a bit unprofessional, but I think its professional with a big caveat: assuming that it's anything like most workplaces I've seen, the drive for "meeting a single quota" rather than "doing a job perfectly as per the job specification" might override what people would like to do in an ideal world. So the easiest corner to cut? Detailed feedback, probably. :( )

So in short:
- known: planned (but not in detail) for next year
- speculation: don't expect detailed feedback... unless you succeed, in which case it might be "great, but can you change X, Y, and Z, ideally by tomorrow". They'll happily go into more, by the sound of it, but that's where rapport building between you and your contact comes in.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:06 pm

They had a meeting discussing their plans for it. There are no solid plans beyond it is happening. It is likely not to be as open, may not be as themed as the old competition style windows but likely to have a bit more of a brief attached than just "pitch whatever"
schaferwhat‽

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events