Black Library Live 2016

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: Black Library Live 2016

Postby Xisor » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:38 am

@Shaggy: Yes indeed, more or less intending to be around most of the day Friday and we'll into the evning! I know there's at least a half-dozen other Boltholers & affiliates who'll be in attendance at some stage, so should be quite a nice crowd!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:54 am

In honour of International Men's Day I am going dressed as a feminist kill joy. Find me LotN you're my only hope.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:08 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:In honour of International Men's Day I am going dressed as a feminist kill joy. Find me LotN you're my only hope.

Not sure I can help you, you're clearly part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor. Good thing there's no Stormtroopers at Warhammer World.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:51 am

We're in bugmans. Find us
schaferwhat‽

Postby SilentObserver » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:01 am

Anybody have any juicy details? @Shaggy, Schaferwhat, Major Rawne, Others?
SilentObserver

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:20 pm

SilentObserver wrote:Anybody have any juicy details? @Shaggy, Schaferwhat, Major Rawne, Others?

I'll provide what I can.

Firstly a whole bunch of new releases for AoS, 40k and HH were confirmed: (This is only for releases that we didn't already know about before yesterday.)

Cult of the Warmason by C L Werner - Not sure if this is a novel or audio, but it's about the Stealers.
Calgar's Fury by Paul Kearney - Seems the SMB book was a first part in a series about Calgar. Awesome!
Jain Zar: The Storm of Silence by Gav Thorpe - Second Phoenix Lords book, really looking forward to this one and wondering if he'll address the fact that Malcharion and Talos Valcoran turned Jain into a crispy pancake last we saw her.
Daedalus by LJ Goulding - A Scythes of the Emperor audio that is based around aerial combat, seems like LJ is really bringing these guys to the fore with their first proper novel and an audio to support it.
Echoes of Revelation - A collection of short audios in the Horus Heresy, the cover depicts the Kakophoni and apparently their story will depict the moment the Kakophoni truly become Noise Marines.
Farsight: Crisis of Faith by Phil Kelly - Novel or novella, not really sure. But curious, and more Farsight is always good.
The Eight Lamentations by Josh Reynolds - The first AoS novel that will only have mortal human characters, no Stormcast or other such stuff.
Ruinstorm by David Annandale - Major Horus Heresy novel that will be about Guilliman, Sanguinius and the Lion attempting to break through the Ruinstorm and make it to Terra, with Curze in tow. This is Book 45 in the HH.
Dark Compliance by John French - An audio about Horus after the events of Vengeful Spirit and Molech bringing an Imperium world into compliance with his new rule and about how others may be brought to heel or to side under his leadership.
Old Earth by Nick Kyme - The third and final Salamanders HH novel, will be about Vulkan's origins and destiny. It will also contain parts about the fate of the Iron Hands during the Heresy as well. This is Book 47 in the HH.
The Last Hunt by Robbie MacNiven - This is only a title so far, I have heard no details about it.
Hallowed Knights: Plague Garden by Josh Reynolds - A Stormcast novel about the Hallowed Knights. Judging from the title I believe it will be about Lord Celestant Gardus who was last seen being sucked into the Garden of Nurgle and fleeing from a pack of Great Unclean Ones.

Also Books 43 and 46 of the Horus Heresy were revealed to not be set in stone. At least two HH manuscripts are nearly finished, whichever one is finished first will become Book 43 and the other Book 46.

Now on the information we got, or at least what I heard from the authors:

Graham McNeill
-The Crimson King is finished, and will focus on driving a wedge between Ahriman and Magnus, taking them a step further towards the relationship they have in post-heresy and 40k. The novel will also reveal the fate of the remembrancers from A Thousand Sons, Lemuel, Camille and Mahvastu.
-The Battle of Macragge is still in the future, but McNeill sees it as a First Tyrannic War series rather than a single book on the titular battle. He feels that Tyran, Prandium and all the rest should be covered because they are just as important to the narrative, and that if only Macragge were to be covered it would literally have to start with "Spores falling."
-McNeill has a rough outline, in his head, of the next three Ultramarines books. One of his ideas for the second book (I.e Book 8 overall) was to resurrect Guilliman, destroy Macragge and have all hell break loose. The editors thought he was joking, but he also said he probably couldn't do it because some part of that might be something that is coming in another work.
-Very much enjoyed showing the friendship between Perturabo and Magnus in the upcoming Magnus the Red Primarchs book, pairing the most intellectual Primarchs together, both theoretical intellect and pragmatic intellect. Hinted their future interactions in the main series will not be positive.
-Would also be interested in writing Fulgrim, who would have been his second choice if Magnus wasn't available.

David Annandale
-Ruinstorm is his next major HH book, focuses on the Lion, Guilliman and Sanguinius abandoning Secundus and trying to get to Terra, Curze in tow.
-Would leap at the chance to write a Typhus series, and would also like to write the Mortarion Primarchs book.
-Graeme Lyon revealed, to all including David, that when he submitted The Carrion Anthemn, Nick Kyme felt it was the best 40k short ever submitted and showed it to everybody in the office.
-Is currently working on the outline for Castellan Crowe book 2

John French
-We had a chat about Ahriman and his flaws and agreed that one of Ahriman's greatest flaws is ultimately that if he can solve a problem and in doing so will create an even greater problem, he'll still do it because he will think he can fix that problem too. His refusal to give up and admit defeat is both a strength and weakness.
-The reason French did the short stories from Ctesias's POV is because he wanted to show how villanous Ahriman looks from the outside, while the main series shows his heroic aspects (or motives at least) by looking inside. But to an outsider, Ahriman looks and acts like a dangerous and uncaring madman.
-The Covenant series is coming and according to French Covenant is a "hardline" Inquisitor. He said that Gregor Eisenhorn is the kind of Inquisitor you could be friends with, Covenant is most definitely NOT that kind. He said that if Covenant would have gone after and tried to kill Eisenhorn in book 3 if he had been around.

David Guymer
-Is working hard on Ferrus Manus: Conquerer. He said that he wanted to write Manus most of all not only because he's his favourite, but also because Manus has not really had any achievements in the Heresy beyond being killed. Conquerer will hopefully give the fans reasons to like Manus as much as the others.
-Talked a bit about Kardan Stronos and Eye of Medusa. The first book will depict Stronos as a sergeant and described him as a "nice Iron Hand", especially in comparison to guys like Arven Rauth and Naim Morvox. But agreed with me that Stronos is in a tough position as Chapter Master, he sees his chapter going down a dangerous route and feels he has to do something about it, but also has to stay on their good side or he could be replaced and then nobody is going to do anything to keep the Iron Hands human.

Others
-Nick Kyme apparently said that Dan Abnett is still working on GW/BL stuff, so Gaunt's Ghosts and Eisenhorn vs Ravenor are not cancelled.

That's about all I heard or have seen making the rounds at the moment.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Shaggy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:52 pm

SilentObserver wrote:Anybody have any juicy details? @Shaggy, Schaferwhat, Major Rawne, Others?

LOTN covered far more than I would have been able to... whilst the bigger seminars are still interesting, I'm beginning to think I made a mistake in going to those and not the smaller individual-author gatherings.
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Postby Xisor » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:03 am

With apologies to all (especially Shaggy!) who've heard this before:

I was privileged enough to be one of the two people in the early morning slot with Chris Wraight and Guy Hayley in the Webway Portal.

(Queues were still huge, and there was a rumour going about saying there were only 300 copies of Master of Mankind for 400+ attendees. Also, it was very early in the day, so I suspect folks didn't realise it was on until well after it kicked off. Shame, as it might have seemed a bit deflating for Chris & Guy, but it worked out better than I could have ever engineered, personally, so swings and roundabouts! Really cool, even if weird having Chris loom like the Wizard of Oz/ESB Palpatine at the two of us! 8-) )

Chris talked a good bit about Carrion Throne (his Inquisition novel) - it's stand alone, but he feels a huge opportunity for the characters, so would love to see it sprout legs. Moreover, he waxed quite lyrical about treating Terra as if it were a character in its own right. Certainly the reading he did had that feel to it - atmospheric, to put it mildly.

Graeme Lyon noted it was being branded as a series, so was keen to see it continue too.

Graeme also gave us fruit pastilles, which was unexpected and lovely.

Guy Hayley talked about his work on Perturabo's Primarch's novel. He noted that his (and likely Lorgar's) were likely to be rough exceptions in that they *would* involve a fair chunk of origins story - up to the point of picking up immediately where Graham McNeill left off on the cliff on Olympia in "Angel Exterminatus".

Guy's reading from Perturabo was unsurprisingly also excellent, but in contrast to Chris' was less an evocative scene-setting and a instead a straight-up 'chat' between Perturabo and Dammekos.

Notable other points include:
- Carrion Throne is about as 'present day' as it gets in 40k, and is set on Terra telling stories that can only be told on Terra.
- Perturabo features a prolonged look at fighting the Hrud, Inc. a cameo by someone else who might have encountered the Hrud.

In short: it was very cool and incredibly intimate. (Kisses for all! [Err...])

The only other privileged knowledge I got that others won't necessarily have is a result of excellent chats with Mark Clapham (and even then, others might have had similar!), which include:
- very in-depth/focussed research into the Red Corsairs.
- the book was *intended* to be a monolithic beast of a thing. (And at least to carry, it feels gargantuan.)
- what was mentioned about the style of the book/the approach planned out sounded mighty interesting to my ears, so very keen to get into it, myself!
- it's been a good long time in the works.

In brief: sounded very good, very excited to get to it.

---

Otherwise, I had a grand weekend. Missed a few of the authors this time (no direct speaking to Graham, Gav, Nick, Laurie, Davids Guymer and Annadale, or Andy Smillie, which I was a wee bit gutted about - but timings didn't work it and it would have been a terrible struggle to grab a hold of absolutely everyone. Not impossible, but I also like lounging about and was already brimming with anecdote by about 11am on the Saturday!)

I also spent a good hour desperately trying not to spy on John French and Alan Bligh on Friday afternoon as they were sat chatting in Bugman's. Think I succeeded.

---

Overall, a very solid weekend. Sounds like everyone had a good time, very keen for the Weekender later next year too.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Duke_Leto » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:31 pm

LOTN thanks for the detailed review.

Xisor thanks to you as well. Shame you didn't also get to ask Chris Wraight about his Custodes novel but Carrion Throne sounds great!!!

2017 is shaping up to be a very exciting year for Black Library. In fact 2016 has been an step forward. Feels like BL have got their mojo back. Part of the growing excitement is easy to pinpoint...the return of the Coming Soon section. Means we can speculate and discuss again!!!
Duke_Leto

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:33 am

Carrion Throne is the custodes novel. It is about inquisitors but there will be Custodes involved because it is on Terra.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Duke_Leto » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:33 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Carrion Throne is the custodes novel. It is about inquisitors but there will be Custodes involved because it is on Terra.

Err no!

Chris Wraight has been reported as working on two novels for 2017:

1. Vaults of Terra: The Carrion Throne
And
2. Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion (book about Custodes)

So unless the second one is a fake and you know something then (hopefully) not the same book :D
Duke_Leto

Postby Lupercalifragilistic » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Xisor wrote:The only other privileged knowledge I got that others won't necessarily have is a result of excellent chats with Mark Clapham (and even then, others might have had similar!)

Almost certainly, just because I tend to fall back on schtick on these occasions and end up repeating myself 400 times...
Lupercalifragilistic

Postby Neverborn » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:48 pm

Duke_Leto wrote:Err no!

And

So unless the second one is a fake and you know something then (hopefully) not the same book :D

Vaults of Terra: The Carrion Throne has got a Custodian on the cover, so while it looks like it'll be more of an Inquisition story overall, it's presumably going to feature Custodes as well...

You're right though that these are two separate books - Watchers of the Throne is a different book entirely. When asked whether it was set in the 41st Millennium, Laurie and Nick didn't really answer...draw whatever conclusions you wish from that!

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Duke_Leto » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:51 pm

Neverborn wrote:
Duke_Leto wrote:Err no!

And

Vaults of Terra: The Carrion Throne has got a Custodian on the cover, so while it looks like it'll be more of an Inquisition story overall, it's presumably going to feature Custodes as well...

You're right though that these are two separate books - Watchers of the Throne is a different book entirely. When asked whether it was set in the 41st Millennium, Laurie and Nick didn't really answer...draw whatever conclusions you wish from that!

NB.

Custodes in both is cool with me!

Really hope Watchers of the Throne... is NOT set in the 41st Millennium! After The Beast Arises (which overall was a really good experience despite a few oddities plot wise and a couple or three poorer books) I really hope BL do more books and indeed sequential series set at different times throughout the 10k years between HH and "now" 8-)
Duke_Leto

Postby Tyrant » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:56 pm

Was anything mentioned about the progress they've made going through the submissions for this year?
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:15 pm

nothing was mentioned about there being submissions still to work through on the writing for black library panel that I can recall, I'll check my notes later and do a write up of what was said there, seemed a bit more focussed than some of them of the past.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Neverborn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi folks,

I've put together a few posts about upcoming titles, based on the Coming Soon seminar at BL Live, the latest Warhammer Community blog, and a few kind sources (thanks LOTN!). The first one is up now - new 40k titles.

https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2016 ... mer-40000/

What are you guys excited about? I can't wait for those Inquisition books :)

I've got a Heresy post and an AoS post still to come...

Thanks,

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Neverborn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:32 am

Morning,

Here's the Horus Heresy coming soon post...

https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2016 ... us-heresy/

Lots more good stuff in there :) I'll put up the AoS post tomorrow!

Thanks,

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Neverborn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:53 am

Morning (again),

This is the last of the Coming Soon posts off the back of Black Library Live - I promise! This time it's Age of Reynolds Sigmar...

https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2016 ... of-sigmar/

Thanks,

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Duke_Leto » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:56 am

Neverborn wrote:Morning,

Here's the Horus Heresy coming soon post...

https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2016 ... us-heresy/

Lots more good stuff in there :) I'll put up the AoS post tomorrow!

Thanks,

NB.

Great work on both your blogs. What an exciting line up for 2017!

To quote you again (taken from your blog)...

So with some new books confirmed, here’s what we know is coming up in the numbered series:

Book 41: The Master of Mankind by Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Book 42: Garro by James Swallow
Book 43: TBC
Book 44: The Crimson King by Graham McNeill
Book 45: Ruinstorm by David Annandale
Book 46: TBC
Book 47: Old Earth by Nick Kyme

Books 43 and 46 were asked about, with Laurie unwilling to give any details – primarily it seemed because it hasn’t yet been decided which order in which they’re going to go.

What do people think 43 and 46 could be?

We know that Laurie has said there are ALSO three other books to be written BEFORE we reach the Siege of Terra. So what could they be?

Only two I can think of are Doom of the Deathguard and a book wrapping up the War on Mars.
Duke_Leto

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events