Black Library Live 2016

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Black Library Live 2016

Postby Neverborn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:57 am

Who's going?!

Great to see Black Library putting on events once again - I'm really looking forward to this. I put up a blog post about it if anyone fancies a read...

https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2016 ... live-2016/

Cheers,

NB.
Neverborn

Re: Black Library Live 2016

Postby Xisor » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:05 am

Great shout there - very good advice all round.

I'm really hoping to go along. Might even take a day off work on the Friday to nip along and be about from early afternoon. (My Skitarii should be easily transportable by then, so getting some games/drinkypoos/chat in in the bracket days would be excellent.)

There's a good crowd of Boltholey folk likely to attend in some manner, so it could be a great get together independent of how good the rest is!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:33 pm

I'll be there and so far it looks like the majority of the usual suspects will be too. Can't wait. I'll be there sometime on the Friday through till the Sunday. It's going to be great.
Major Rawne

Postby Shaggy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:32 pm

Normally, seeing as I live in Nottingham, I'd be jumping on this one... but unfortunately it clashes with a potential trip to Odense in Denmark, if the Nottingham Panthers (the ice hockey team I support) get through to that round of the Continental Cup... better than even chance, I think.
Think I'm going to have to risk buying a ticket now, and hoping I can flog it if the Panthers get through to that round. Previous BLL events have sold out - and there's not been any other BL event this year - so if anyone is looking for a last-minute ticket... there may yet be one available! :D
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:31 pm

Absolutely ecstatic because this will be the first Black Library event of any kind that I can attend!! :D :D :D

Train tickets and BLL ticket purchased minutes ago (earliest arrival time I could get at less than £83 for a train ticket was 10.00am but that's only an hour after opening), I will only be down for the Saturday since I can't really afford to add a hotel room onto what i've spent for travel and what I plan on spending on books (A lot).

I haven't been this excited for something in a long time, to meet some of my favourite authors, get some awesome pre-release books and extra swag, see Warhammer World and the dioramas I keep reading about, get some of my books signed (definitely bringing my 1st Edition of Rebirth for Kyme to sign), and all the seminars and Q&As to attend. Will also be cool to meet some fellow forumites in person. Lots and lots of stuff to look forward to. :D

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:14 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Absolutely ecstatic because this will be the first Black Library event of any kind that I can attend!! :D :D :D

Train tickets and BLL ticket purchased minutes ago (earliest arrival time I could get at less than £83 for a train ticket was 10.00am but that's only an hour after opening), I will only be down for the Saturday since I can't really afford to add a hotel room onto what i've spent for travel and what I plan on spending on books (A lot).

I haven't been this excited for something in a long time, to meet some of my favourite authors, get some awesome pre-release books and extra swag, see Warhammer World and the dioramas I keep reading about, get some of my books signed (definitely bringing my 1st Edition of Rebirth for Kyme to sign), and all the seminars and Q&As to attend. Will also be cool to meet some fellow forumites in person. Lots and lots of stuff to look forward to. :D

LotN

Pro-tip: Think about how much you bring with you and how much you're going to buy because your body won't forgive you if you carry mountains all day. I know know because that has been me :D

That being said just have fun, and it will be nice to put a name to a face if our paths happen to cross.
Major Rawne

Postby Xisor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Rawne's spot on. I'd go further though: think about cutting corners. Getting signatures, in hindsight, much less memorable than say getting a wee chat in here or there.

(Or most memorably [though I can't say I remember it *accurately*], Rob Sanders buying Rawne, Schafe and myself a pint, then Andy Chambers showing up too. Still warms my heart!)

So if you've got any good multi-author omnibuses, or even a Kindle cover, then getting things signed becomes massively more achievable and memorable.

Not to say: don't.

But I'd hate for your memory to be tempered by the agony of lugging four tons of books about!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:21 pm

Xisor wrote:(Or most memorably [though I can't say I remember it *accurately*], Rob Sanders buying Rawne, Schafe and myself a pint, then Andy Chambers showing up too. Still warms my heart!)

Damn that sounds awesome, wonder if something like that will happen this time around. :)

My plan so far is to bring the books that I really want signed. At the moment, based on who is confirmed to be attending, that is my First Edition Rebirth and the Legacy of Caliban trilogy (to complete the set with the signed copy of Angels of Darkness Gav sent me a few years ago). I might also bring Road of Skulls for Josh to sign.

But yeah, getting signatures isn't the main goal of the day. Enjoying myself is, that and getting every pre-release book there! :D

Major Rawne wrote:That being said just have fun, and it will be nice to put a name to a face if our paths happen to cross.

I plan to, and hopefully they will. Would be nice to meet some of my fellow forumites face to face.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:45 am

Indeed LotN make sure to plan to linger a little bit if you're only doing the day just because geeking in the bar can be as great as anything. Rob getting in the round was great, he really loved chatting with everyone the authors are all such great folks it is amazing.

Are people still setting up camp at the Riverside?
schaferwhat‽

Postby Major Rawne » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:35 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Are people still setting up camp at the Riverside?

That was my general plan though I've not booked it yet.
Major Rawne

Postby Rob P » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:57 pm

I may try and make this. I've been to 3 in the past and it gets a bit samey. Also switching almost exclusively to kindle means i've not got anything to sign and don't want to drop cash on paper books just for signature.

However, was going Notts for something next weekend and wanted to drop by and see WHW but undestand AoS tourny on so probably not open to the public, so might come up in Nov.
Rob P

Postby Athelassan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:42 am

I would be tempted to come - mostly to see Boltholers, since my association with BL fiction has withered substantially in recent years - but a friend of mine is very inconsiderately getting married that weekend, so I can't make it. I hope you have what passes for fun in my absence ;)

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:15 pm

My boss signed my application for leave yesterday. Going to check flights and hotels now. :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:20 pm

Athelassan wrote:I would be tempted to come - mostly to see Boltholers, since my association with BL fiction has withered substantially in recent years - but a friend of mine is very inconsiderately getting married that weekend, so I can't make it. I hope you have what passes for fun in my absence ;)

Ath

What kind of rubbish excuse is that :P

Dorian wrote:My boss signed my application for leave yesterday. Going to check flights and hotels now. :D

Woohoo!
Major Rawne

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:26 pm

Hmm, I can't fly to Nottingham from Frankfurt. Have to take a flight to Birmingham and from there a train to Nottingham.
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby Neverborn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:00 pm

Xisor wrote:Great shout there - very good advice all round.

Thanks, glad it was useful! Sounds like a fair few people are already planning on attending, great to hear - fingers crossed it lives up to our expectations :)

I've not decided if I'll come down the night before or not, but hopefully I'll get the chance to say hi to at least some of you guys there!

Anyone got any wishlisting for seminars, activities, new releases etc?

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Pyroriffic » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:09 pm

Ah, good memories.

Good times.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Neverborn wrote:Anyone got any wishlisting new releases etc?

NB.

Weeeell...

According to Black Library we can expect at least three new products to be available there. Nagash: The Undying King by Josh Reynolds, Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds by Mark Clapham and Fabius Bile: Primogenitor by Josh Reynolds. But there will obviously be more.

Considering the date is November 19th and the release schedule for the series, I think that all of the Beast Arises books will be available there. The Last Son of Dorn has been released this month, the next month should see Shadow of Ullanor, and finally The Beheading which will likely be released early at BLL.

And I am hearing some rumours, so take this with some salt, that there will be a surprise HH release at the event and that release will be ADB's long-awaited Master of Mankind. I dearly hope this is true, but we'll have to wait and see.

It may also be possible that Carcharodons: The Red Tithe will be available. The author posted on Facebook that the book was sent off for final edits before hitting the printers in August, and according to Death Nikorps' page on Black Librarium the book is listed for a December hardback release, which means it could be available on pre-release. As could Shield of Baal and the second Primarchs novel, Leman Russ.

And if they aren't released before it, Warden of the Blade by David Annandale and Shadowsword by Guy Haley could be there, but sources say they will be out before the event.

I'm hoping we may see The Carrion Throne or Warlord: Fury of the God-Machine, but both of those are listed on Amazon as a February and April release respectively, so my hope is a slim and unlikely one.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Neverborn » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:I am hearing some rumours, so take this with some salt, that there will be a surprise HH release at the event and that release will be ADB's long-awaited Master of Mankind. I dearly hope this is true, but we'll have to wait and see.

That would be AWESOME! My fingers are going to be crossed from now until November...

Lord of the Night wrote:It may also be possible that Carcharodons: The Red Tithe will be available. The author posted on Facebook that the book was sent off for final edits before hitting the printers in August, and according to Death Nikorps' page on Black Librarium the book is listed for a December hardback release, which means it could be available on pre-release.

I'm really looking forward to this one, would definitely be on my list if it's available. Somehow I had it in my head that this was due for release in January 2017 though...?

I've done a bit of thinking, more along the lines of seminars and activities - here's hoping for at least some of this!

https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2016 ... es-hoping/

Thanks,

NB.
Neverborn

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:21 pm

Master of Mankind has been printed so it may not be the worst guess. If they do go all out on pre releases again it will be a welcome change to the past few events.
schaferwhat‽

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events