Slayer: Gotrek and Felix Ending - thoughts/feelings?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Slayer: Gotrek and Felix Ending - thoughts/feelings?

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:17 am

Personally, I'm sad to see this happen. Whilst I haven't read any G&F post-Nathan Long, I was dismayed that they had opened it up and seemingly jumbled the timeline around anyway.

Now I find out they're ending it completely. Sure they could add in short stories or even novel-length stories into the existing timeline, but everyone who reads it will lose the suspesnse as they KNOW It doesn't end there, so the pair will survive.

The Space Wolf series was one of my first-ever 40k introductions, and Gotrek and Felix were my Fantasy intro. I'm very sad to see it end, and think it's a poor show to do this to one of their biggest and most "classic" series.

:(
Corrigan Phoenix

Re: Slayer: Gotrek and Felix Ending - thoughts/feelings?

Postby Athelassan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:13 pm

Well there was always a rumour that Giantslayer was intended to be the second-last Slayer novel, and for reasons unknown the series was never completed with the final one (rumoured to be titled Kinslayer). Then it was brought back with a different author and went off on a rather different tack. So in some ways - assuming there was ever any validity to that rumour - this feels long overdue rather than a surprise.

To be honest I had felt a long time ago that the Slayer series was starting to outstay its welcome and looked like it would drag on interminably. The introduction of varying authors helped to breathe a bit of life back into it, and Road of Skulls was excellent, but I don't think that feeling of suspense you mention with the sense that each book could be Gotrek's last has actually been there since at least the William King days. We all knew that Gotrek's current adventure wouldn't be his last no matter how intimidating the adversary because there was no way BL were going to kill their bestselling fantasy series off. It's like James Bond: no matter how perilous the straits you know on some level he'll pull through.

I think it's a matter of opinion whether it's better to let a series go on forever or kill it off. I think G&F have, rather like The Simpsons (their close contemporary!) long since missed the boat on being killed off while still fresh and in their prime, but there's still the opportunity to have it go out on something like a high. Very few series can get away with running for 25 years without getting very tired and everyone wishing they had cleared off sooner. And with respect to the metaplot, End Times is supposedly wrapping everything up, so if G&F aren't finished off now, they'll likely be left perpetually in limbo in a world that GW no longer cater for, a bit like the Demon Download cycle, and I'm not sure that's any better.

Instinctively I still feel a bit uncomfortable about someone else finishing off the story Mr King started, and that's the only aspect of all of this that really gives me pause, but that ship sailed when Nathan Long took over the series I think.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:17 am

Thanks for the weighty reply Ath- I fidnt know GW/BL are wrapping up the Fantasy world/stories, so couldn't comment on that. You make some very valid points on the duration of the series, and I agree that it is better to end it before everyone gets tired of it. Personally I hadn't got to a point where I was tired of it (far from it, in fact- I enjoyed the familiarity of G&F interplay, combined with the newer characters (I adored Long's Ulrika spin-off) and found it entertaining the way Long began to play about with the settings and situations to freshen it up.

I guess my caveat of the newer authors sharing the stories was that is grown comfortable with Long taking over, as it were. But, If you say some of the newer stuff is good, I'll have to look into them when I get a chance!
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Athelassan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:44 am

A caveat on the newer authors: I've only read the Anthology, Road of Skulls and City of the Damned and had mixed experiences with them: Road of Skulls was by far the best in my opinion at least.

If you haven't read them, the C.L. Werner Thanquol books are also well worth checking out.

As far as wrapping up fantasy goes, it's not official that BL are doing that, but GW have pretty much literally blown up the world in the End Times campaign and if WHF is to go on it will be in an almost unrecognisable form. That combined with the winding-down in BL fantasy releases over the last year or so suggests there aren't going to be many more stories in this world, if any.

I suspect that that is what prompted the ending of the G&F series. There doesn't seem to have been any prior indication that that was on the horizon and the direction taken under the newer authors seemed to be such that their stories could continue almost indefinitely.

Ath
Athelassan

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events