BL Reviews on Track of Words

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: BL Reviews on Track of Words

Postby Neverborn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:09 am

Major Rawne wrote:I can hope, but I think the demand would have to be there for WHF. Whilst I understand that the WHF eBooks still sell well, I think beyond something happening on the tabletop (like Bloodbowl) BL will stick to the 40K releases.

Yeah I'm leaning that way too. I'm not giving up hope for a Gotrek & Felix boxed set though...fingers crossed!

Major Rawne wrote:In an interesting side note going back to your talk about BL not doing enough to advertise paperback releases, the latest email is chock full of the latest paperback releases.

Xisor wrote:I noticed that too and my first though was: Neverborn'll be chuffed! (Also it's a good idea. About time.)

Yep, was really pleased to see that! :D Good work Black Library. Now, what should we grumble about next, to see if that gets fixed too...?!
Neverborn

Postby Xisor » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Neverborn wrote:
Major Rawne wrote:I can hope, but I think the demand would have to be there for WHF. Whilst I understand that the WHF eBooks still sell well, I think beyond something happening on the tabletop (like Bloodbowl) BL will stick to the 40K releases.

Yeah I'm leaning that way too. I'm not giving up hope for a Gotrek & Felix boxed set though...fingers crossed!

Major Rawne wrote:In an interesting side note going back to your talk about BL not doing enough to advertise paperback releases, the latest email is chock full of the latest paperback releases.

Xisor wrote:I noticed that too and my first though was: Neverborn'll be chuffed! (Also it's a good idea. About time.)

Yep, was really pleased to see that! :D Good work Black Library. Now, what should we grumble about next, to see if that gets fixed too...?!

Release all editions at the same time. Sure, the HB might seemingly take a hit, but a concerted effort to actually get the best 'viral buzz' ou of them might hugely help.

E.g. In Heresy:
- HB in GW shops/BL online store
- Audio out in CD & mp3
- big fancy paperback in all other shops
- legacy edition available as online exclusive

Each book becomes a mega sensation, people get it in the format they want, there's no 'lag' in public enthusiasm for the books, in Gamer speak you keep the community in good spirits too.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Neverborn » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Xisor wrote:
Neverborn wrote:Yep, was really pleased to see that! :D Good work Black Library. Now, what should we grumble about next, to see if that gets fixed too...?!

Release all editions at the same time. Sure, the HB might seemingly take a hit, but a concerted effort to actually get the best 'viral buzz' ou of them might hugely help.

E.g. In Heresy:
- HB in GW shops/BL online store
- Audio out in CD & mp3
- big fancy paperback in all other shops
- legacy edition available as online exclusive

Each book becomes a mega sensation, people get it in the format they want, there's no 'lag' in public enthusiasm for the books, in Gamer speak you keep the community in good spirits too.

Hmm, interesting you should go for that topic. You might want to keep an eye on the blog over the next few days, for something that touches upon it! :)

Suffice to say I think that would be a very interesting move from BL...even if I'm not sure they'll ever go for it.

And on another note...

Here's a quick review of today's Digital Monday short story.

The Vorago Fastness by David Annandale
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... annandale/

I'd completely forgotten about this story - I first read it many moons ago when I got hold of the (then) print on demand-only Xenos Hunters anthology back in 2012. As I was writing my review I realised there's so much here that I like, above and beyond the usual Deathwatch short story style. I really wish David would write a follow-up...

Anyone else read this?

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:55 pm

I've read that story. Mostly forgotten now unfortunately, might be up for a re-read this year. Very good anthology from memory, particularly Peter Fehervari's story.
Major Rawne

Postby Neverborn » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:34 pm

Evening,

Today's quick review is of the latest Digital Monday short story, which ties in nicely with the upcoming Scythes of the Emperor novel...

Heloth by LJ Goulding
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... -goulding/

Really enjoying these Scythes stories.

Hopefully I'll have a quick BL-focused write up of the HH Weekender in the next day or two. Nothing earth-shattering, but was fun as usual.

Cheers,

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Neverborn » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:07 pm

Evening all,

I've fallen behind a bit with putting links up on here, so just catching up now.

As promised, a quick look back at the Heresy Weekender...

https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... k-roundup/

Also my latest book review...

Kingsblade by Andy Clark
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... ndy-clark/

Lastly, the latest in my weekly series of reviews looking back at classic Black Library short stories...

https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... ndy-jones/

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Duke_Leto » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:31 am

I was going to skip Kingsblade but based on your review I might now pick it up! Going to read the short story first to see if it floats my boat (is the short a good indicator for the style and feel of the novel?)
Duke_Leto

Postby Neverborn » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:10 pm

Duke_Leto wrote:I was going to skip Kingsblade but based on your review I might now pick it up! Going to read the short story first to see if it floats my boat (is the short a good indicator for the style and feel of the novel?)

I hope you do give it a go, I thought it was brilliant! Really good fun. The short does give a good indication I'd say, yeah. It's a lot smaller in scope obviously, but it's a nice way into the wider story.

Also...

I've been hinting at this for a while, but I've now finally got it written up and figured out.

Black Library: There and Back Again with Laurie Goulding

Laurie and I had a really, really interesting chat about what's been going on at BL over the last couple of years, and he was amazingly open about it all. He's a genuinely lovely guy, and I've had great fun chatting to him recently. Hope you guys enjoy the interview, and keep your eyes peeled for the second part...

Let me know what you think!

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Duke_Leto » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:24 am

Neverborn wrote:
Duke_Leto wrote:I was going to skip Kingsblade but based on your review I might now pick it up! Going to read the short story first to see if it floats my boat (is the short a good indicator for the style and feel of the novel?)

I hope you do give it a go, I thought it was brilliant! Really good fun. The short does give a good indication I'd say, yeah. It's a lot smaller in scope obviously, but it's a nice way into the wider story.

Also...

I've been hinting at this for a while, but I've now finally got it written up and figured out.

Black Library: There and Back Again with Laurie Goulding

Laurie and I had a really, really interesting chat about what's been going on at BL over the last couple of years, and he was amazingly open about it all. He's a genuinely lovely guy, and I've had great fun chatting to him recently. Hope you guys enjoy the interview, and keep your eyes peeled for the second part...

Let me know what you think!

NB.

THAT was an amazing frank and open interview with Laurie (can't wait for part two). Things totally make sense now but at least there is optimism going forward.

The hint re authors not wanting to work with BL for a while MUST mean Dan Abnett for one and explains delays to Warmaster and Pentitent (alongside Dan Abnett's own crazy schedule of course)

It perfectly illustrates the conflict that occurs when business and creativity/art come into contact (just look at the music industry for many examples - Prince!)

Thank you for that interview and thanks to Laurie too.
Duke_Leto

Postby Neverborn » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Duke_Leto wrote:THAT was an amazing frank and open interview with Laurie (can't wait for part two). Things totally make sense now but at least there is optimism going forward.

The hint re authors not wanting to work with BL for a while MUST mean Dan Abnett for one and explains delays to Warmaster and Pentitent (alongside Dan Abnett's own crazy schedule of course)

It perfectly illustrates the conflict that occurs when business and creativity/art come into contact (just look at the music industry for many examples - Prince!)

Thank you for that interview and thanks to Laurie too.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Yeah I'm really grateful to Laurie for taking the time to talk about this sort of thing. It's fascinating to get a look behind the curtain, isn't it? Explains so much, too...and yeah, I think there's lots of optimism there for what's coming up. If you talk to some of the other authors as well there's a sense that they're really excited about what's going to be coming out soon.

I assumed Dan was one of the authors Laurie was referring to, but I didn't want to press for any details. Perhaps we'll hear more from Dan on the subject eventually.

I'm hopefully going to get the second part of the interview posted soon, maybe next weekend. It's a little different, but there's some cool stuff in there too :)

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Neverborn » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Evening,

First review of the week, for the Digital Monday short story. Another old-school story from the archives...

The Fall of Malvolion by Dan Abnett
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... an-abnett/

Thanks,

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Neverborn wrote:Evening,

First review of the week, for the Digital Monday short story. Another old-school story from the archives...

The Fall of Malvolion by Dan Abnett
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... an-abnett/

Thanks,

NB.

It's an interesting point you make about a lot of the earlier stuff being darker. Something i've been musing on recently is that BL and possibly GW as a whole have dropped the old tagline of "In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war". And whether with that they have lost the grittiness of old.

Anyway another story I read long ago and have mostly forgotten about.

Also concur with others above, excellent interview. Looking forward to the next part.
Major Rawne

Postby Neverborn » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Major Rawne wrote:It's an interesting point you make about a lot of the earlier stuff being darker. Something i've been musing on recently is that BL and possibly GW as a whole have dropped the old tagline of "In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war". And whether with that they have lost the grittiness of old.

Anyway another story I read long ago and have mostly forgotten about.

Also concur with others above, excellent interview. Looking forward to the next part.

Yeah I don't think I've read much recently that's been quite as dark and heavy as some of these early stories. That's not necessarily a bad thing...just a thing.

Glad you enjoyed the interview! It's certainly proved popular :) I'm hoping to have the second part posted Friday/Saturday, all being well.

In the meantime, I've just posted a little interview with Chris Pramas, author of The Black Pearl, as part of my Forgotten Texts series. It's interesting to hear Chris' recollections of Black Library as of 20 years ago, and how it all seems to have started...

https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... ack-pearl/

Let me know what you guys think! Are these extra little author interviews alongside the Forgotten Texts reviews interesting? Anything else you'd like to hear about?

Thanks,

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Neverborn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi folks,

Here's this week's Forgotten Texts review, for anyone who's following this series...

Last Chance by Gav Thorpe
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... av-thorpe/

Now I REALLY want to go back and re-read the Last Chancers novels...

Thanks,

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Neverborn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Afternoon all,

Here's my latest review, of one of today's new releases!

Asurmen: The Darker Road by Gav Thorpe
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... av-thorpe/

Another great Phoenix Lords story...really looking forward to the upcoming Jain Zar novel!

Cheers,

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Neverborn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:25 am

Morning,

And here's another review, of this weekend's other new release...

Slaughter at Giant's Coffin by LJ Goulding

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Neverborn » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi folks,

I read this one a while ago, just hadn't got round to writing the review...

Leman Russ: The Great Wolf by Chris Wraight
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... -book-two/

Unsurprisingly...it was really good!

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Neverborn » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Happy Monday!

And a happy Monday it is when we get a story about a Psi-Titan in the webway!

Ordo Sinister by John French
https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2017 ... hn-french/

Buy it. It's great :)

NB.
Neverborn

Postby Duke_Leto » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Was just wondering when we will see part two of the Laurie Goulding interview?

The first one caused quite a stir (in a good way) on B&C :)
Duke_Leto

Postby Neverborn » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Duke_Leto wrote:Was just wondering when we will see part two of the Laurie Goulding interview?

The first one caused quite a stir (in a good way) on B&C :)

Soon, I hope! Apologies for the wait, hopefully it'll be worth it :)
Neverborn

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events