More White Scars?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

More White Scars?

Postby Neverborn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:06 am

Hi folks.

Has anyone read the interview with Chris Wraight on the BL blog?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Blog/Chroni ... egion.html

There are a couple of interesting references which suggest there may be some more White Scars activity on the horizon from Mr Wraight...

"Here at Black Library, we’re all very excited to see the release of so many new Horus Heresy titles that focus on the V Legion."

I know Brotherhood of the Storm has recently been released in non-limited edition, but taking it into account along with Scars I wouldn't necessarily call that 'so many' new releases.

"We’re eagerly looking forward to what you have in store for the White Scars in the future. "

Hmm...

Any thoughts?
Neverborn

Re: More White Scars?

Postby revelation » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:38 am

I'd love to see more White Scars material. I personally think they are one of the coolest legions/chapters and unfortunately one of the least appreciated, or maybe that's just my perception.

I'm not sure the interview implied more White Scars oriented releases in the near future. Though as you pointed out two releases isn't exactly "so many". There was that White Scars audio drama also, Master of the Hunt, though that is 40k and not 30k I believe.
revelation

Postby Neverborn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi Revelation, I agree completely that the White Scars are one of the coolest Marine legions/chapters. Part of that perhaps comes from the very lack of attention that they've had though - they've got more mystique than probably any other Marines. I'm not convinced how much of the early Horus Heresy story thread was actually planned, but inasmuch as it was I suspect the White Scars have been deliberately left on the fringes. It fits with the ethos of the legion and their current involvement in the story (essentially just forging on ahead without much thought for maintaining the stability of the worlds they've brought to compliance, so they've ended up literally on the fringes) but also it adds a little bit of tension as all we really know is that the Khan ends up fighting on Terra at the end. Everything else before that is pretty much blank so far, right?

Have you read Wolf of Ash and Fire? There's a nice little comment in that about the Khan that ties in with this :

Spoiler: "You and Jaghatai were always close," said the Emperor..."of all of us, even me, I think you know him best."

"And I hardly know him at all," admitted Horus.

Anyway, all that notwithstanding I'd definitely love to see some more Heresy-era White Scars action. If it comes from Chris Wraight then all the better. Actually, given what happens in Scars I guess they'll have to be involved more from now on, which is a good thing!
Neverborn

Postby revelation » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:39 am

I actually haven't read Ash and Fire yet, but I plan to as I've ordered the Macragge's Honour SE graphic novel, which I believe comes with the short story.

Yeah, you definitely could be right about the White Scars being purposely left on the fringes. It makes sense too considering it flies with their nomadic Mongolesque background. Of course the Mongols weren't the most astute at administering a massive Empire (which is also implied about the Scars), though they were astute at accumulating one, but even then they were a mystery to most of those whom they conquered, maybe apart from the northern Chinese dynasties. Of course this makes sense considering the steppe peoples were living, even by the standards of the middle ages, on the outside fringes of civilization. They were nomadic barbarians; the people they were conquering in contrast, the Persians, Chinese, etc. being the "civilized" and sedentary ones. The White Scars essentially mimic all the major characteristics of the Mongols, so again the handling of them by BL authors, in particular Chris Wraight, makes a lot of sense.
revelation

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events