Spambots

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Spambots

Postby Vivia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 am

There has been a spambot invasion lately (heh). Please, if you come across any of them, click the "Report this post" button on the top right, it makes it easier of the mods to see the offending posts. Thank you.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Re: Spambots

Postby narrativium » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm wiping out spambots with prejudice until I can get this sorted - so if you're a new member who's just joined, I suggest you don't fill in your interests or website *unless* they include Warhammer, Black Library or writing in some way as well.

(Not that I've got anything against people who like inline skating or search engine optimisation, but come on…)
narrativium

Postby Athelassan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:46 pm

narrativium wrote:(Not that I've got anything against people who like inline skating or search engine optimisation, but come on…)

Uh-oh.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Vivia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:10 pm

So many. I'm starting to feel like this: Mst3k Beginning of the End, especially at 13:46.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Midgard » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:41 pm

In order to deal with this problem on my forum, I changed registration settings so that new members must be approved by a moderator before they are allowed to post. The only exception was a "Prove that you are not a spammer" forum, which allowed new, not-yet-approved members to post something that proved they were a real human being (and new registrations that were clearly human are approved anyway). So far, it has been working perfectly well, and dealt with spambot invasion for the time being.
My Amazon writer page - check out my novel and short stories!
MIDGARD - my melodic death metal band's new album is now on BandCamp
Twisthammer - alternate WH40K fan-project
Midgard

Postby Vivia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Midgard, thank you for the advice. We'll look into it.
Vivia

Postby narrativium » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:26 pm

There's a countermeasure already in place, which I assume has been working quite well until now, which basically demanded everyone who signed up knew something about Warhammer 40,000 or Black Library. I'm going to take a look at it tonight, if I can, and see what's upset the Machine Spirit.

Now, where's my most violent spanner?
narrativium

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:12 pm

I don't recall being asked anything. Perhaps I'm spam?
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Vivia » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:03 pm

You're a tight ball of spam, Chun.
Vivia

Postby Malcador » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:35 pm

I wasn't asked anything either, but I guess its because we joined before the noosphere was breached.

Anyway, in case of spambot, post the following in the spambot's topic:

"Lord Moderators, I am in the enemy topic, and I have the heretic in my sights, lock on to my position and unleash the Banhammer. Glory to the Emperor."

I know I almost did. :)
If you can't lower Heaven, RAISE HELL!
Malcador

Postby sam vimes » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:43 pm

we need a ban hammer smiley
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby The Hillock » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:07 am

sam vimes wrote:we need a ban hammer smiley

I've got a picture of my face from yesterday when I cut myself rather severely whilst shaving and was absolutely covered in claret. That could work. Suitably terrifying.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby Athelassan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:18 am

Facebook has a little hammer icon (possibly a gavel) that you can use when establishing a group; it could serve as a smiley I suppose. But personally, I prefer this:

Ath
Athelassan

Postby SIngemeister » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:20 am

The cut-off makes that look, uh, suspicious.
SIngemeister

Postby Vivia » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:59 am

Vivia

Postby sam vimes » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:45 am

I second this reaction lol :D :lol:
Vivia wrote:Image
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Malcador » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:44 am

just 40k it up and we can use it :)
If you can't lower Heaven, RAISE HELL!
Malcador

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events