Writing for Black Library

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: Writing for Black Library

Postby Jelboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:10 pm

... quite possibly (if you refer to Amazon) you submit to too busy a pond? Some niches are less competitive.
Jelboy

Postby Vivia » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:00 pm

It helps that people who own cats tend to be obsessive about them. I own two wallclocks with cats, among many things.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Malcador » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:57 pm

After almost a year of strife, the outcasts of the Submission window are known, and henceforth shall they be the Submission Marines. With many submissions will they arm themselves, with indiffirence shall they shield themselves from rejection. They are the scourge of BL's e-mails, they are the Sub Marines.
If you can't lower Heaven, RAISE HELL!
Malcador

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:02 pm

A view from the other side...

I wouldn't suggest that anybody gives up on the BL submissions, but I would never advise that a writer pins everything on getting accepted by one particular company or writing in one specific IP - that's just limiting your options. And if you're serious about writing, you should be able to pump out a different 5,000 word story every month or two at least. Throw a 40K and a fantasy one in there amongst your homegrown fiction and be ready to look for an appropriate submissions call.

Think of it another way. You may aspire to write novels for Black Library. Kids that are quite good at football may aspire to play for their favourite Premier League club. How many achieve their goal? This is in no way about relative quality of writers or publishers, but about the limitations of opportunity. I get the same a lot with games design - how do I become a developer for GW? The chances are, just statistically, you don't. Of the huge pool of possible venues for writers, something like twenty, maybe thirty writers have been published by BL, some of them just once. That's smaller than a football club squad, including reserves. Sure you can aim for that, or to have a Star Wars novel published, or to write Spider-Man comics, but don't confuse aspiration with aim - the aim is to be a writer and that can be done many different ways.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Vivia » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Hear hear.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:33 am

Writers > footballers?

Knew it! Little Xisor'll be happy to be vindicated.

(Also hardwork and be sensible with numbers.)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events