Legacy Edition?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Legacy Edition?

Postby Therion » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:31 pm

Is it the return of mass market paperbacks?
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Re: Legacy Edition?

Postby groovysl » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Therion wrote:Is it the return of mass market paperbacks?

Specifically for the Horus Heresy they are producing a "legacy edition" run in the original form factor, as far as I know other settings get the larger format paperbacks only.
groovysl

Postby Therion » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:54 pm

groovysl wrote:
Therion wrote:Is it the return of mass market paperbacks?

Specifically for the Horus Heresy they are producing a "legacy edition" run in the original form factor, as far as I know other settings get the larger format paperbacks only.

Great. So I can say goodbye to ever buying anything outside HH. *sigh*
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Athelassan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:15 pm

The B-format in the other books is only about a quid more than the old MMPB and not so much larger. I don't know how that translates to Polish prices but I can't imagine it's going to go up by much more in equivalent money. Obviously it's a contentious topic but to be honest I don't find it makes a significant difference. The majority of fiction is now in the larger size anyway (and non-fiction has been for quite some time). The large TPBs for the Heresy novels are rather too big and expensive for me though.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby LordLucan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:40 pm

I do find it weird that the Trade Paperbacks of the HH don't match the Trade paperback size for regular BL books. The HH trade paperbacks are basically hardback book sized, only without the hardbacks.

But yeah, the legacy editions are the same size as the rest of the old MMPB scale BL books.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Therion » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:37 am

Athelassan wrote:The B-format in the other books is only about a quid more than the old MMPB and not so much larger. I don't know how that translates to Polish prices but I can't imagine it's going to go up by much more in equivalent money. Obviously it's a contentious topic but to be honest I don't find it makes a significant difference. The majority of fiction is now in the larger size anyway (and non-fiction has been for quite some time). The large TPBs for the Heresy novels are rather too big and expensive for me though.

Ath

I see. From what I saw in local mega store ordering page, new paperbacks cost 6,9 hours while the old ones 5,2 hours. It drives already excessive cost into realms of unacceptable.

When it comes to Polish book prices in general, Polish book prices tend to exist outside the realm of sanity. For some weird reason we don't have standardized MMPBs at all.
There are pocket books which have tiny fonts and cost about 1,5-2,5 hours but they are usually limited to older most popular titles and there are very few fantasy/sci-fi titles published in that format.

Then there's a variety of paperbacks. Here's how Polish fantasy paperbacks tend to look like:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--YeNFEgy-uY/T ... 0_2754.JPG
And here are Horus Heresy novels:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kT_PH3Q8bxg/U ... -00038.jpg
These tend to cost about 6-7 hours.

Then there are some most popular non-fantasy books which tend to cost between 5-7 hours.

It goes without saying that I very rarely buy novels and vast majority of novels and books in general that I read comes from library. Luckily, my city has several libraries in the city centre including a fantasy/sci-fi library.

One thing that annoys me with disappearance of MMPBs is that I never actually considered BL novels worth buying in any other form (except omnibus, maybe). I never thought - "Hey it would be awesome if I'd get to read pulp science fantasy tie-in novels in more expensive formats!"
Therion

Postby narrativium » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:33 am

LordLucan wrote:I do find it weird that the Trade Paperbacks of the HH don't match the Trade paperback size for regular BL books. The HH trade paperbacks are basically hardback book sized, only without the hardbacks.

But yeah, the legacy editions are the same size as the rest of the old MMPB scale BL books.

Other than the Horus Heresy series, and I think some of the Print-On-Demand stuff, I'm not aware of any BL books which are in trade paperback format. (Space Marine Battles led the trend on B-format, but that's *still* an MMPB size, not a trade paperback size.)

Trade paperbacks are typically hardback size. The whole point is that you don't have to redo the typesetting from having printed the pages for hardback, when you produce it as a softcover book. But BL's hardbacks, at least in the case of the HH series, aren't the same size as the trade paperbacks; this isn't typical.
narrativium

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events