How are they releasing the HH series?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

How are they releasing the HH series?

Postby YeOldeGrandma » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Okay, sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't figure out how to search the forum for this type of topic.

As someone who started reading the series when it was first released, and then took a break for a few years, I've returned to the series (currently finished A Thousand Sons), only to find that the Black Library site is full of... a lot of stuff, basically. In addition to the novels there's something called Garro, there's this new thing called Scars and so on. If someone who knows the series could give me a brief overview I'd be thankful. As far as I see it now, there seems to be books and audio-dramas. Is that it, or is there Limited Edition stuff as well that I have to be on alert for if I want to read the entire series? Or do they re-release them later on? And are the audio dramas only available as such, or also as books?

Spoiler: I don't like audio dramas, they sort of kill the mood for me

YeOldeGrandma

Re: How are they releasing the HH series?

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:49 pm

The series comprises publications in all formats.

The main format is the novels themselves, and this includes the anthologies. As of last November, novels come out in the following formats:

- Hardback. This is available only through GW stores or the GW/BL sites. These are said to be released 3 months earlier than the actual publication date but since BL has never actually given us the on-sale dates of the books, this is just circuitous marketing.

- Extended eBook edition. These are pricier eBook versions of the novels and they contain an author afterword and four illustrations of characters/events in the novel, done by Karl Richardson (I think that's the name, he's worked on some BL graphic novels before). These are released at the same time as the Hardbacks.

- Unabridged audiobooks. Simple reading of the novel by a voice-actor. These are released at the same time as the Hardbacks.

- Trade Paperback. Generally, BL TPBs are the size as the Space Marine Battles novels, or the recent Warhammer Heroes novels. However, the HH TPBs are bigger, they are the size of the hardbacks. This format is released on the so-called actual publication date and this format is available at any retailer.

- Mass Market Paperback or Legacy Edition. These are the formats that were used up until the release of the Shadows of Treachery anthology last year. Books in this format will be released six months after the release of the Trade Paperbacks.

- Standard eBook. This is released at the same time as the Mass Market Paperbacks. The Angel Exterminatus standard eBook was released alongside the Trade Paperback version but BL then said it was a mistake.

The second story format (generally available that is) is the audio dramas. Currently, most of the audio dramas are linked together by focusing on former Death Guard Captain Nathaniel Garro and his band of Knights Errant, who are working under Malcador's aegis towards an unspoken goal.

There are other audio dramas, such as Butcher's Nails and Raven's Flight and the Advent audios from last year, that focus on other theaters of war during the Heresy and flesh out other events and characters.

Then there are the limited edition novellas. These are available for a very short duration and these are quite pricey and come with a special hardback design and internal illustrations of the same type as those in the Space Marine Battles novels. These novellas are available on general release 2 years after first publication. The first HH LE novella, Promethean Sun, was rereleased a couple months ago. Next up is Aurelian.

Then there is the short story format, which BL is using to tell stand-alone stories that later lead on to plotlines in the novels, etc.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby YeOldeGrandma » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:34 pm

the Advent audios from last year

Are those the ones called "Advent day seven: warmaster", "Advent day twenty-four: Veritas Ferrum" and so on?
Then there is the short story format, which BL is using to tell stand-alone stories that later lead on to plotlines in the novels, etc.

And these are available where?

Your answer is very informative and much appreciated. My main concern was that I'd miss out on something because it would only be available for a limited time, but that doesn't seem to be the case - at least not for the time being. And then there's always Print On Demand.
YeOldeGrandma

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:39 pm

Advent Audios: Warmaster by John French, Strike and Fade by Guy Haley and Veritas Ferrum by David Annandale. All are really short and they are great. 8-10min audios IIRC.

Off the top of my head, the only stand-alone HH short story I can recall is Kryptos by Graham McNeill, which focuses on two minor characters from Angel Exterminatus.

And just to clarify, there's no Print on Demand HH titles.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Athelassan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:33 pm

There are some short stories in event anthologies, which might be re-released at a later stage in more accessible format. Those I'm aware of include:
Distant Echoes of Old Night
Death of a Silversmith
Lost Sons
The Divine Word

There may well be more.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby YeOldeGrandma » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:37 pm

And just to clarify, there's no Print on Demand HH titles.

No, I imagine there wouldn't be at the moment - I was thinking ahead, maybe ten years or so, when Horus Rising is probably out of print. It's not a concern for me at the moment as I can still find Horus Rising at my local stores.
YeOldeGrandma

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Ah yes, good catch there.

Death of a Silversmith is also available in the Shadows of Treachery anthology, by the way.

shadowhawk2008

Postby flick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:07 pm

I'll be interested to see how successful these changes are going to be, because it comes-across as very chaotic (excuse the pun).

I miss the days when the 'Coming soon' section could tell you what's coming out in the next six months or so.
flick

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events