Scars

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: Scars

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:40 am

revelation wrote:
Liliedhe wrote:First Chapter was quite cool. It alsoshowed some in depth information about Legion recruiting and answered a few things about the Scars... *hugs Haren* Loyalty is such a fragile thing...


Haren should get over himself and learn to embrace fully his new direction.


;) Well, this backstory explains what we learn of him in LimitedNovella.

EDIT: Got the second Chapter now. I like the general. *g* Maybe because she reminds me so much of me. ^^
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
User avatar
Liliedhe
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 am
Location: Vienna, Austria


Re: Scars

Postby revelation » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:22 pm

I like the General too. She's cool.

So far I'm liking this novel quite a bit. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the

Spoiler: White Scars and Space Wolves interact and in particular how Russ and JKhan get along.

User avatar
revelation
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:10 pm


Re: Scars

Postby Words_of_Truth » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm worried, I've read that there was in fact a lot more detail originally in the book but the current weekly releases lack that, are the weekly releases an abridged version? I'd hate to be buying this weekly only to find it was the abridged version and I'll have to buy the full hardback when it's released.

Edit: Just heard from Black Library on facebook there's no abridgement on the weekly release.
User avatar
Words_of_Truth
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:16 pm


Re: Scars

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Words_of_Truth wrote:I'm worried, I've read that there was in fact a lot more detail originally in the book but the current weekly releases lack that, are the weekly releases an abridged version? I'd hate to be buying this weekly only to find it was the abridged version and I'll have to buy the full hardback when it's released.

Edit: Just heard from Black Library on facebook there's no abridgement on the weekly release.


Is this from WarSeer? yeah... I wouldn't put any trust what that guy says.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
User avatar
shadowhawk2008
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:17 am
Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution


Re: Scars

Postby Words_of_Truth » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:22 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:
Words_of_Truth wrote:I'm worried, I've read that there was in fact a lot more detail originally in the book but the current weekly releases lack that, are the weekly releases an abridged version? I'd hate to be buying this weekly only to find it was the abridged version and I'll have to buy the full hardback when it's released.

Edit: Just heard from Black Library on facebook there's no abridgement on the weekly release.


Is this from WarSeer? yeah... I wouldn't put any trust what that guy says.


It wasn't from warseer I read it, but the info could of stemmed from their I guess. I read it on another site where someone said a guy had read the draft versions of the work and the chapters we've so far read have been cut down quite a bit.
Last edited by Words_of_Truth on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Words_of_Truth
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:16 pm


Re: Scars

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:32 pm

The "info" was first broken on WarSeer. The guy who revealed it happens to be someone who complains all the time about BL policies and considers Abnett to be the only writer of note and yet has claimed to read everything. Or something to that. His posts aren't always coherent.

Either way, I consider his post to be suspect. The clues are in there. He claims to have read the entire early draft and yet he is speculating on the lengths of the episodes and complaining about it. I mean... he is complaining about the length of the novel being severely cut down from the standard, and yet we know that there aren't any "short novels" in the HH series, if anything, they are lengthier than the standard in some cases.

And I somehow doubt that Chris Wraight wrote the entire novel without breaking it into chapters and I'm sure that he was well aware in advance that this was going to be serialised.

As for his complaint about ARC versions, BL doesn't do ARC versions like other publishers.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
User avatar
shadowhawk2008
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:17 am
Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution


Re: Scars

Postby Athelassan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:47 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Either way, I consider his post to be suspect. The clues are in there. He claims to have read the entire early draft and yet he is speculating on the lengths of the episodes and complaining about it. I mean... he is complaining about the length of the novel being severely cut down from the standard, and yet we know that there aren't any "short novels" in the HH series, if anything, they are lengthier than the standard in some cases..

Aurelian? ;)

Ath
User avatar
Athelassan
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:44 pm
Location: London


Re: Scars

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:50 pm

The novellas are about 120-130 pages, aren't they? Like 30,000 words max? That's a short short novel by most standards.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
User avatar
shadowhawk2008
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:17 am
Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution


Re: Scars

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:54 pm

Words_of_Truth wrote:It wasn't from warseer I got read it, but the info could of stemmed from their I guess. I read it on another site where someone said a guy had read the draft versions of the work and the chapters we've so far read have been cut down quite a bit.


Another thing. Given how sensitive BL has been for several months now about "unofficial extracts" of books, etc being posted anywhere, even excerpts on social media by the authors themselves, I really doubt that some random guy got to read Chris Wraight's draft-version of his first HH novel.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
User avatar
shadowhawk2008
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:17 am
Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests