World Engine

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

World Engine

Postby Words_of_Truth » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Is someone writing this book? because they really should, of all the stories out of the front of the current space marine codex this is by far the most intriguing and heroic and I'd love to know more about it. The summary from the codex is pretty short and it's washes over the 100 hours worth of combat in a second where the marine contingent was at around 740 one second to just 5 and the chapter master in the next sentence.

On another more personal note It only briefly mentions the forces arrayed against the world engine including which chapters and only then does it highlight around 5 of them, I personally would like to add the chapter I use, The Warmongers, to that list because it seems like such an epic, heroic, courageous struggle.
Words_of_Truth

Re: World Engine

Postby Shaggy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 pm

This is tailor-made for the 'Space Marine Battles' series... either as a (fairly large?) novel covering the whole campaign in depth, or as a themed anthology with snapshots of the campaign - one story from each of the chapters involved?
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:45 pm

What the... the World Engine is th Astral Knights chapter's story. Other chapters played a part yes but the entire story revolves around the Astral Knights sacrificing themselves to stop the Necrons. That is what a novel on this topic should focus on, not an anthology about the other Chapters involved who didn't really do anything of note.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Shaggy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:What the... the World Engine is th Astral Knights chapter's story. Other chapters played a part yes but the entire story revolves around the Astral Knights sacrificing themselves to stop the Necrons. That is what a novel on this topic should focus on, not an anthology about the other Chapters involved who didn't really do anything of note.

LotN

The final part of the campaign, certainly... that is almost all the Astral Knights... and yes, that in itself would make a damned good novel. But I wouldn't say that the other chapters ""didn't really do anything of note" - we simply haven't been told much about what else went on. Reading between the lines, I'd be surprised if there wasn't plenty done by the other chapters. It just doesn't match the total sacrifice of the Astral Knights.
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Postby Words_of_Truth » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Yeah I was primarily thinking of just the Astral Knights, the story should revolve around them with references to the other chapters, such as the Invaders losing a full two squads trying to teleport on to it. I'd probably do it from the point of view of Artor Amhrad the Astral Knights Chapter Master, maybe make him out to be one of many chapter masters arguing as to the way they should deal with it and him being the one to succeed in it after the other attempts fail.
Words_of_Truth

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:08 am

It is my burning desire to get my foot into the door with BL then to do this novel. I've put some thought into it, and since the skeleton of the story is already established, the most important aspect of the story (as I see it) is fleshing out the cast of characters to the degree that the enormity of their sacrifice is made all the more apparent. Of course, conveying the menace of the Necrons, convincing void battles, etc, is all very important as well, but the crux of the story lies in humanizing the Astral Knights so that their loss is felt all the more keenly.

That I've run across a quote somewhere noting them for their strong ties to the AdMech just makes them all the more drool-worthy a subject, for me.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby kurisawa » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:18 am

I also thought it was a good hook for a story, so I started writing it...

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1785

Decided not to finish it, though. :(

K.
My short stories:
1. Extraction = viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2127
2. Intoxication = viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2188
3. Desecration = viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2294
4. Indoctrination = viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3172

My novel:
BLACK SHIELDS: INCOGNITUS = viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1901
kurisawa

Return to Board index