Are Black Library sales going down?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Are Black Library sales going down?

Postby Duke_Leto » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Looong time since I last posted. Kinda started losing interest in BL as this year has not excited me with the releases. Also personally resent having to wait for the MMPB (sorry I mean Legacy) editions of HH. In fact the only books that excite me this year (that I know of because the BL website no longer updates the coming soon section to whet my appetite) are: Warmaster and Fist of Demetrius.

Anyhooo

I have noticed that book shops (well most specifically WH Smith) are stocking less BL books than they did a couple of years back. I wonder whether sales of paper editions are dropping and conversely whether e-books are growing at the same rate?
Duke_Leto

Re: Are Black Library sales going down?

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:27 pm

That's not what I am seeing, If anything they are getting more space. Currently the Waterstones I have been popping into on a weekly basis not only has 2 to 3 shelves full of BL titles, but also half a table dedicated to them. You really can't not see them when you head over to the Fantasy/Sci-fi section.
Major Rawne

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Duke_Leto wrote:Looong time since I last posted. Kinda started losing interest in BL as this year has not excited me with the releases. Also personally resent having to wait for the MMPB (sorry I mean Legacy) editions of HH. In fact the only books that excite me this year (that I know of because the BL website no longer updates the coming soon section to whet my appetite) are: Warmaster and Fist of Demetrius.

Anyhooo

I have noticed that book shops (well most specifically WH Smith) are stocking less BL books than they did a couple of years back. I wonder whether sales of paper editions are dropping and conversely whether e-books are growing at the same rate?

Don't know about the sales, but in terms of shelf space, my local Kinoukuniya book store recently halved its shelf-space for BL books, which really sucks. And they don't appear to be stocking new releases as much anymore. And they've jacked up the prices by like 5-10% on some of the titles. Very frustrating.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Fenris » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:07 pm

I'd like to post my experience on the matter but italian BL-store space went from "the publisher with the license decided to transalte Goto's books as water-testing stuff a few years ago" to "the publisher with the license decided to stop translating BL-stuff a few years ago-1"

I guess 0 shelf space means local BL sales have gone down :lol:
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Hehe, that's one way of looking at it!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby DarkChaplain » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:22 am

I can't exactly speak from experience, since it has been a hell of a time since I've last stepped into a physical book store over here in Berlin, Germany, but I remember my old experiences well enough.

Back in 2008/09/10, the shelf space was fairly limited, with maybe one or two rows in the bigger stores dedicated to BL, with half of that being taken up by Gotrek & Felix as well as Darkblade. We actually got those translated here, and as opposed to the publisher the 40k license was given to, they did a fairly decent job with fantasy.
Back then, even a medium-sized magazine store at one of the major trainstations in the middle of the city stocked BL fiction, and often had them sooner than the big stores around that area.

The last time I saw those stores, they had just started to stock the first few Heresy novels, with extremely horrible cover-edits and utterly mistranslated titles. Shelf space has grown a bit then.

Now, apparently Germany seems to be profitable enough for Black Library to take back those licenses and release their own german editions of their books, and while they just started around december/january, they're rapidly expanding their range. They're apparently doing a better job than the old publisher for 40k, and seem to release a bunch of recent to new books every month, judging from Amazon.de.

I cannot attest to the shelf space those releases tend to have, but it would appear that it has grown further, especially due to monthly releases, as opposed to irregular 3 to 6 month waves.
However, the price has also gone up by 33%, from 10€ to 12€ or 15€ - sure, those are trade paperbacks, but nope, the old format was pretty much the same.

I initially stopped buying the german fantasy novels for three reasons:
1) Butchered covers
2) ~3€ more expensive than ordering the english originals online
3) Lack of timely new releases

That said, ordering mass market paperbacks off the interwebz cost me around 7€ on average, the german, licensed editions with their horribad translations (including translating of names, which they wouldn't dream to do with Star Wars or Trek etc) came at ~10€ while the new BL range comes at either 12€ or 15€, depending on the series.

I don't see a reason to go back and buy them locally again, honestly, since the prices for new german books are generally fixed, while I just paid 8€ for Skarsnik and Ahriman: Exile each online.
But I'd definitely say that demand for Black Library fiction has gone up in Germany. Hell, they're actually releasing hardbacks now, it would appear!
DarkChaplain

Postby Rex Imperator » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:12 pm

On related note, when was the last time a heresy novel got on the New York Times Bestsellers list?

For a while it seemed like every HH title was getting on there.
Rex Imperator

Postby Athelassan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:27 pm

Fear to Tread, I think, which was the last proper novel before the switch to hardback (after which time they obviously haven't charted). I'm not sure if Shadows of Treachery (the last HH book of any kind to get a paperback first edition) made the chart, but I don't think so.

Ath
Athelassan

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events