The Book Format Thread

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: The Book Format Thread

Postby Xisor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:28 pm

And even then, it's not something that we, the observer, are likely to know.

Again: I'm inclined to hop by the library tomorrow and sign up. If not for the hardback editions, it might be an easy way to get my grubby mits on the story without directly enabling the system of release.

---

Having said that...

It's worth re-emphasising Argel Tal's point. That is: the books and their fit in the collection really isn't terribly disrupting given that almost no 'big series' collected from the beginning has format-consistency. I'd imagine this heartily applies to all sorts of big-name crime fiction and whatnot too.

(Cross reference also, if memory serves, the Shira Calpurnia books. They're not matching! That said, see for counter-example with a pleasantly consistent series: Harry Potter.)

Singling BL out for doing what every other publisher does is a bit curious. On the otherhand, I'd probably be miffed if my HPs didn't match too. (Well, they don't, but that's because I came lately to it, with my entry-misstep being late-printing hardback Azkaban then first-editions of the remaining four.)

Of course, the rest of the back-and-forth still stands despite this, but I do think it's a fair one to hold in mind.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby LordLucan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:55 pm

Singling BL out for doing what every other publisher does is a bit curious.

I'm not singling out BL. If another publisher did this I'd be rather miffed.

It's odd though; I wasn't that bothered to begin with. But the more people tell me it's no biggy, or it doesn't matter, the more annoyed I get. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Anywho, just another month for Angel Exterminatus, and Throne-knows when for Betrayer and Mark of Calth... :lol:
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Lupercalifragilistic » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Xisor wrote:It's worth re-emphasising Argel Tal's point. That is: the books and their fit in the collection really isn't terribly disrupting given that almost no 'big series' collected from the beginning has format-consistency. I'd imagine this heartily applies to all sorts of big-name crime fiction and whatnot too.

The publishers of Ian Rankin changed the paperbacks from MMPB to trade with the *last* of the Rebus series. My wife's nerd rage, having collected the MMPBs over the previous two or three years, was a wonder to behold.

Her response, as per Xisor's suggestion, was to get that last Rebus (and his subsequent comeback novel) from the library in hardcover and not bother buying the paperback.
Lupercalifragilistic

Postby groovysl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:16 am

Somewhere in this thread, I seem to remember that someone (Ath?) commented that they didn't see why ebooks weren't bundled with the hardcopies.
This morning Amazon introduced me to Autorip, the 100 or so LPs and CDs I have bought from them over the years are now mine in MP3 format as well, available to download or stream.
If they extend this logic to books at some point in the future, so that all the physical books I've bought from them over the years are available as Kindle editions, that would be a massive industry changer and would almost certainly force all sellers to bundle. (I'm extrapolating wildly here, it relies on publishers agreeing, but the logic is the same, and from Amazon's point of view would help drive Kindle lockin.)
groovysl

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events