BL coming soon page

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

BL coming soon page

Postby RuneGuard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi

Long time since ive posted ive browsed around on other forums and topics but cant see this topic up any where.

Anyway, does anyone know why the coming soon page on BL website is so out of date? i mean i have to go to Amazon to find out when future releases are coming, this is silly.

Also why are there no release dtaes for upcoming HH books, I know they dont usually put up novellas and ltd editions but what about the good old regular HH books, is this got something to do with them being released hardback?

Seriously BL get your website coming soon page up to date, like you use to, its fun planning ahead especially when it comes to planing which books i can afford. But also when i find out about the release date of the next gotrek and felix novel from a forum or a book seller its really anti climatic!

Anyhow rant over, it just being bugging me for a while now. :evil:
RuneGuard

Re: BL coming soon page

Postby Fenris » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:05 am

Well,it's not much that it's outdated but...

1)it defaults at the earlier month in the list (so if you don't click on the specific months in the drop down menu link,you get dec/jan/feb books first :lol: )

2)it's been 6-months-only for quite some time now (since the new site i think if i'm not remembering it wrong).Why?God-Emperor and the Lady of the lake know...

So...If anything,they should put someone on it and remove the now "already out" months from the list
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:53 am

It's been over a year for the last 2 updates, since I started the Release Calendar thread. For some inexplicable reason, BL apparently thinks that surprising people with release info is a better marketing strategy. It's been two full days since BLL. They "revealed" a lot of titles at the event, most of which we already know through Amazon 1-6 weeks prior to the event. A lot of times of late, Amazon has book covers up before the BL site does.

They really need to make some changes as to how they communicate this info to the consumers. Personally, I find that I'm less and less bothered with finding out about BL books in recent books, given the lack of information.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby RuneGuard » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 am

Well would you look at that! looks like BL have started to tidy up their coming soon page. It now has releases starting in March, now all they've got to do is update it abit more to coincide with the releases that amazon already has up.

I use to like having to guess what books were what back in the day, BL would put up a title, and that would be it, the forums would come alive with hypothesis after hypothesis as to what the title is about, and then BL would then put up a cover for the book, followed closly with a description of the book a few weeks later, it was fun.

Please BL dont do a Gamesworkshop on us, where they keep the release of their next army book/codex a 'big secret' until they reveal it a few weeks before release, its bloody annoying.

Cheers :)
RuneGuard

Postby Duke_Leto » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:54 pm

Obviously there are different schools of thought and approaches to marketing. However, as someone who works in marketing I have to say BL have really made a mess of this lately IMHO. Build anticipation, reveal snippets and book titles, then artwork, get people talking and guessing and then issue the book summary. I have simply stopped looking at the BL site as this approach does not make it feel fresh (yes I know there are is the blog and the new e-shorts).
Duke_Leto

Postby Fenris » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:45 am

TBH the site is lacking in updates and maintenance in a few places

One that has been irking me for example is the warhammer heroes section

-All the out of dead-tree-stock books (Wulfrik,SoJ/SoV and Red duke) have vanished even when the ebook is still avaiable
-Sword of the emperor should be listed,since it's a omnibus of the first 2 books in the line,but it's not
-Van Horstmaan is not listed

Basically,all that's left of the section are Sigvald and Valkia

I understand that without the original SoJ/SoV/Wulfrik style cover there is not much setting them togheter,but it would be nice to keep them all in one place on the site

That,or remove the section from the menu once and for all :roll:

Another one?Look at the storm of magic section

ANOTHER one?Why have a section for Thanquol's serie,but not,say,one for the Ulrika one,the bretonnian serie or the new wood elves one?Each one is (or will be) a 3 book serie....But only one is showing (and even there,there is only 1 book left into it)

I kind of see a pattern there,like no one is actually bothering with keeping the whfb section in shape :roll:

I have simply stopped looking at the BL site as this approach does not make it feel fresh (yes I know there are is the blog and the new e-shorts).

Kinda

Even the blog feels like it's getting less interesting lately,but at least it's still worth following
Last edited by Fenris on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Tim the Corsair » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:26 am

You get the distinct feeling that BL are perhaps not getting their fair share of funding considering the lack of website maintenance, the slowness of submission reviews by horribly overworked editors, et al.
Tim the Corsair

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Tim the Corsair wrote:You get the distinct feeling that BL are perhaps not getting their fair share of funding considering the lack of website maintenance, the slowness of submission reviews by horribly overworked editors, et al.

Right on the money as far as I'm concerned. This is extremely frustrating. IMO, only Night Shade, Angry Robot, Pyr and Solaris have easily navigable/searchable websites that are properly updated and maintained. Other publishers usually make a mess of things.

Orbit has one of the worst systems, personally speaking. It is SO HARD to find an individual book page there!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby RuneGuard » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Whats interesting is that whoever is in control of the website is still pretty up to date with everything else, the new HH ebook can already be found in the HH section of the website. So therefore I dont think its a lazy can't be bothered to keep it up to date decision, but more of a marketing decision not to put up more up to date books in the coming soon page.

The question is WHY DO IT THIS WAY? Its bloody frustrating!!!

and breath.

:oops:
RuneGuard

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 pm

BL marketing appears to have undergone a shift in their marketing-think in recent months. People are getting SO frustrated that every 2-3 days people on FB are complaining about their unupdated coming soon section. And the rote answer is that they won't put something up until it is absolutely, without a doubt confirmed. So, what I take away from that is that we won't have information on new books until a month or two before release, and that's it.

I have a list of books that I know are coming out this year, and I'll keep an eye out for them. But beyond that, I'm not really all that motivated to GET excited about any new stuff.

shadowhawk2008

Postby RuneGuard » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:18 pm

See you have a list of books that you know is coming out for the year, I do not. How did you get this list? how up to date is it?

I've been to BL weekender and Live and they don't really show much more than what they put up on the website.

Also its pretty sad to see that your not excited about any upcoming new BL books, this simply is not the way to go for BL, they need to generate more buzz and excitement, get it out there that there are many new and interesting authors coming into the black library fore, as well as some new and interesting novels.

I understand they don't want to upset fans by planning for a book release date for November only to find that the author has lost all his data and back up memory and has to write the novel from scratch, however its still nice to see that the novel is in the works.

And why don't they put up any HH books coming soon this year? Whats the big secret? I mean now we know Vulkan lives :lol:
RuneGuard

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Check out the first post in the "BL Release Calendar Thread" in this same subforum.

It is quite up to date, and a lot of the data comes from Amazon, author blogs, and Black Library Live. Some dates, such as those for the HH TPB/MM formats, are approximations.

I'm looking forward to a small selection of those titles.

shadowhawk2008

Postby RuneGuard » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Oh Yeah, I've never looked on the first page, I always look at the most recent entries.

Cheers for the heads up :)
RuneGuard

Postby Athelassan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Fenris wrote:I kind of see a pattern there,like no one is actually bothering with whfb :roll:

FTFY :(

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Vivia » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:42 pm

WHF isn't getting much love. 2013 might not be all that thrilling.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 pm

To slightly go off-topic:

Road of Skulls, Death of Antagonis, Van Horstmann and Curse of the Everliving are not listed under the new titles sections of 40k and WHF....

Le sigh....

shadowhawk2008

Postby Fenris » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:53 am

Vivia wrote:WHF isn't getting much love. 2013 might not be all that thrilling.

Well,it's getting 3 Warhammer heroes books,some G&F books and Blighted empire in the first half of the year
Not that bad for whfb.Sure,it still pales compared to 40k
-
Fenris

Postby RuneGuard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:07 am

So the coming soon page has been updated some what and yet their is not a single HH book in sight.

Why are they doing it this way? is it a marketing strategy or something?

Any one on here know much about marketing, if so do you have any theories?

cheers
RuneGuard

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:10 am

RuneGuard wrote:So the coming soon page has been updated some what and yet their is not a single HH book in sight.

cheers

Because the Heresy hardbacks are surprise releases now.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:52 am

RuneGuard wrote:So the coming soon page has been updated some what and yet their is not a single HH book in sight.

cheers

I'm really not surprised that this is the best they can do in terms of marketing their product.

As for their "marketing" refer to the following threads:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2630

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2469

shadowhawk2008

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events