Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby Shaggy » Thu May 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Liliedhe wrote:Those are still there? Whoa. Will they EVER finish? They were already in place at the weekender, last November...

They're putting in the tram lines for Phase 2 of the tram network... work is due to carry on until the end of 2014... so be prepared for the same disruption for quite some time. Believe me, we're all getting somewhat tired of it here in Nottingham. Although I have to say... the end result is worth it (the tram beats the hell out of buses).
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
User avatar
Shaggy
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 am
Location: Nottingham


Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby Liliedhe » Thu May 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Definitely. We have a lot of trams here in Vienna. And an underground. Which is even cooler...
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
User avatar
Liliedhe
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 am
Location: Vienna, Austria


Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby Malius » Fri May 17, 2013 11:37 am

Yeah, they've been there for ages.

Thankfully I will be on foot, via the canal. Always a nice walk :)

Is anyone else going to be around WHW today?
<Insert poignant quote here>
My blog
User avatar
Malius
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:56 pm
Location: Liverpool (actually a Londoner)


Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun May 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Frak me the stuff that FSoG is tweeting about the Heresy Weekender is freaking epic!

FiftyShadesofGeek@Twitter wrote:Looking at the Phoenix Lords and the fall of the Eldar as a separate series. Good or bad?


FiftyShadesofGeek@Twitter wrote:Aaron - My next book, whenever that comes out, will be exclusively Custodies.


FiftyShadesofGeek@Twitter wrote:Dan Abnett - I'll be very sad if they don't let me do any Unification War stuff.

Audience - *cheers*


FiftyShadesofGeek@Twitter wrote:A Great Crusade Series wouldn't be dismissed in time. Good or bad idea?


FiftyShadesofGeek@Twitter wrote:More Dorn in Master of Mankind by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Hot off the press in a 30 second Heresy Meeting


FiftyShadesofGeek@Twitter wrote:30K is BIGGER! The Ultramarines Legion is bigger than all 40K Chapters PUT TOGETHER!



LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
User avatar
Lord of the Night
 
Posts: 3244
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm
Location: The Warp


Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:38 pm

Which 40k chapters? All that exist? Or the Ultramarine successors? if the former, that's just ridiculous.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
User avatar
shadowhawk2008
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:17 am
Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution


Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby Liliedhe » Sun May 19, 2013 4:19 pm

A thousand Chapters? Nominally that would be one million Space Marines. But how many Chapters have less than a thousand members? How many do not exist anymore except in Administratum records? How many never existed?

How many members has the UM Legion? 250K? Who definitely, actually exist. I wouldnt consider it too bold a claim.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
User avatar
Liliedhe
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 am
Location: Vienna, Austria


Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby Darke » Sun May 19, 2013 4:57 pm

The Weekender seems to be light on news related to Black Library's products - it seems mostly to be centered on Forge World. Any news with the Black Library books?
Darke
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:53 pm


Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby Shaggy » Sun May 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Liliedhe wrote:A thousand Chapters? Nominally that would be one million Space Marines. But how many Chapters have less than a thousand members? How many do not exist anymore except in Administratum records? How many never existed?

How many members has the UM Legion? 250K? Who definitely, actually exist. I wouldnt consider it too bold a claim.

I dunno... I'm in two minds on this one.

One thousand Chapters each with one thousand Space Marines is, of course, going to be only an approximation. And yes... there are bound to be Chapters with fewer than a thousand Space Marines. But likewise there are going to be those Chapters with more... what about the Black Templars? It's already known that they aren't restricted to the thousand limit, and that it's highly likely they could actually have several Chapters' worth of Space Marines on their roster (just scattered all over the place in various Crusades).
So a rough approximation of one million Space Marines in 40K is probably not too far off the mark.

Which does seem to make that claim about the Ultramarines seem somewhat ridiculous.

However... was it not revealed/hinted at in at least one of the HH novels (I forget which) that the Ultramarines had actually absorbed the members of The Two Mysterious Missing Legions(TM) and therefore were much more numerous than they otherwise had any right to be?
If so, that could lend weight to this claim.

Without more information, we can't really be sure... my instinct would be to rubbish the idea, but I have to admit that there's room for doubt...
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
User avatar
Shaggy
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 am
Location: Nottingham


Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun May 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Shaggy wrote:However... was it not revealed/hinted at in at least one of the HH novels (I forget which) that the Ultramarines had actually absorbed the members of The Two Mysterious Missing Legions(TM) and therefore were much more numerous than they otherwise had any right to be?
If so, that could lend weight to this claim.

The First Heretic. Aaron has outright come out and said these are two characters who are talking out their arses and just speculating idly, jealously and wildly with no actual knowledge of the subject. Not too mention that the Word Bearers, at 150k, aren't incredibly smaller than the Ultramarines or anything. I suspect that the large size of the Ultramarines rather stems from their 500 world empire and Guilliman's streamlined, efficient revisions to the recruitment process.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
User avatar
Mossy Toes
 
Posts: 2284
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 am


Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby Shaggy » Sun May 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:
Shaggy wrote:However... was it not revealed/hinted at in at least one of the HH novels (I forget which) that the Ultramarines had actually absorbed the members of The Two Mysterious Missing Legions(TM) and therefore were much more numerous than they otherwise had any right to be?
If so, that could lend weight to this claim.

The First Heretic. Aaron has outright come out and said these are two characters who are talking out their arses and just speculating idly, jealously and wildly with no actual knowledge of the subject. Not too mention that the Word Bearers, at 150k, aren't incredibly smaller than the Ultramarines or anything. I suspect that the large size of the Ultramarines rather stems from their 500 world empire and Guilliman's streamlined, efficient revisions to the recruitment process.

Ah.
Oops.
OK, fair enough! :oops: :lol:
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
User avatar
Shaggy
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 am
Location: Nottingham


Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby Xisor » Sun May 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Moreover, it's quite feasible that over the course of the Age of Darkness, the Ultramarines massively inflate their numbers - taking on higher-yield processes, pushing for wider recruitment... all that jazz. So by the time the Ultramarines actually take to the field as a 'ready' Legion... 250k might be smallfry.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
User avatar
Xisor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4959
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Canterbury

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests