Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby Shaggy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:03 am

Oh, you gits...
http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/horus-heresy-weekender-ticket.html

As a confirmed Heresy-nut, how can I resist this? Paying for it may be a bit trickier though... <winces>

And at the Belfry as well, which is within (long-ish) walking distance for me.

Anyone else salivating (and probably wincing as well) at this one?
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Re: Horus Heresy Weekender 2013

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 am

I think I may be slightly fatigued by the Horus Heresy.

Partly because it takes up quite a bit of the talk and I've yet to catch up on the audio adventures. It is a disproportionate amount of event time and truthfully the age of darkness the bits no one knows about the Heresy? Well no one knows about them, it's forgotten it is of negligible importance really and it is hard to remain enthused about it. There are ideas and themes I find interesting but it is expanding to the point where the pathos and drive and what not is getting a bit lost and stagnant for me.

It is starting to feel a bit less "why does no one remember what happened during the age of darkness, what secret wars happened?" and more "this is the bits everyone glossed over when they were telling it to their grandkids until eventually ten thousand years later it just stopped being remembered. A bit harsh and maybe Angel Exterminatus and Betrayer will make things good for me, I guess the wait for me to get hold of them in the format I desire doesn't help.

So I won't be going to the HH weekender. Looking forward to the BL one though and hopefully we can have more fantasy panels now that the Heresy gets an entire weekend.
schaferwhat‽

Postby mstevns » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:54 pm

And for the serious fans/devotees who will have to travel from afar, it is beginning to be a bit ridiculous if you want to be present at each major BL event. I can maybe travel two times a year to England for my hobby, but three is out of the question.

Late notice too - it all seems a bit rushed to me?
This is Mike, who is *the most* Prussian-looking guy I’ve ever seen in my entire life.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden
mstevns

Postby Malius » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 pm

I would like to go to this but I can't justify another event, what with BLL and the weekender. The weekender is a priority too because its geared somewhat more towards writing (if you have a gold ticket).

Thankfully I don't have to decide as I'm on tour that week. However I do want those event exclusive books and miniatures. So maybe I will need to send a minion to book grab for me.
<Insert poignant quote here>
My blog
Malius

Postby Xisor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Sounds cool - I'm chipper for more events: it makes me feel less sad about missing them all and only getting to the odd one! :lol:

That said, I'm disheartened about not being able to get the anthology - I'll be looking for anyone on hand to liberate it for me!

Shame I almost certainly can't go, but it's simply beyond my budget. Then again, getting the best out of a FW event is almost certainly beyond my budget anyway - even if I was in wholesome employment. It's an expensive side of the hobby. I hope Schafe's right though, that it'll take the looming shadow of the Heresy off of the other events!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Athelassan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Apart from anything else, there hasn't been nearly enough notice of this for me to get the funds - and arrange the time - to go. Realistically, though, more than one weekender in a year is always going to be pushing it, and as much as I like the look of what Forge World are doing with the Heresy, the BL one takes priority.

Hopefully, as others have mentioned, it will alleviate some of the HH pressure on the BL weekender, although I'm not sure it actually will.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm kind of annoyed they announced it so late, because I would much rather go there than to BLL. :(

Well, I hope I will at least find somebody to get me the anthology. :)
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Jim Shady » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:59 pm

£70 is a bit steep for a ticket or is that just me ? Either way, I will look to try and go to this (even if it means finding the most run down hovel in Nottingham to spend 2/3 nights).
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:16 pm

The Belfry is quite far outside the city. You should consider getting the reduced rates there, because otherwise you will spend money for taxi rides.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Major Rawne » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:25 pm

This could be fun. Just a real shame that I am on holiday when this is on.
Major Rawne

Postby Athelassan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 am

Jim Shady wrote:£70 is a bit steep for a ticket or is that just me ? Either way, I will look to try and go to this (even if it means finding the most run down hovel in Nottingham to spend 2/3 nights).

Well, £70 for a weekend's entertainment... difficult to say. It's about the same price as the Black Library Weekender (perhaps exactly the same price; I can't be bothered to check).

Certainly, while I didn't feel the BLW ticket was the bargain of the century, I didn't feel like I'd been mugged either.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:01 am

Jim Shady wrote:£70 is a bit steep for a ticket or is that just me ? Either way, I will look to try and go to this (even if it means finding the most run down hovel in Nottingham to spend 2/3 nights).

It costs a lot sorting out the M+Ms in the author's room. Blue ones for Aaron, red ones for Dan, green ones for Bill... Any my bee hummingbird egg and saffron sandwiches don't come cheap.

;)

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Jim Shady » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:

It costs a lot sorting out the M+Ms in the author's room. Blue ones for Aaron, red ones for Dan, green ones for Bill... Any my bee hummingbird egg and saffron sandwiches don't come cheap.

;)

Gav

So Gav, is this a hint as to what people should bring for the author's? ;)
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Postby paulus » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:38 pm

I've been given the all clear to attend and have ordered my ticket :-)
Makes up for missing bll again!!!
paulus

Postby ChildOfFang » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:35 am

I think the price is representative of the numbers attending. The weekender felt a very relaxed atmosphere in part because it was rammed fullof people so there was no need to make sure you were ready 20mins before each seminar, now obviously more people would help reduce the cost of hiring all of the facilites of the hotel but I think the price (although harsh on the wallet) isn't unfair in terms of what is offered.
ChildOfFang

Postby Hercule Pyro » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Well, I've ordered my ticket. If it's as much fun as the BL Weekender, it'll be brilliant.
"Holy HP Lovecraft spinning through the thirteen abyssal planes on a propane grill!"
Hercule Pyro

Postby Razhbad » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:50 pm

This looks like it could be quite cool, however, I missed out on the BL Weekender last year and with this one just appearing from no where, so to speak. It is likely that I wont be going to it as I'll probably be going to the BL Weekender instead
Razhbad

Postby Malius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:44 pm

I like the idea of it, but as I said I'm away on tour... :(

£70 isn't that bad. Will people be willing to exclusive book and miniature grab?
My blog
Malius

Postby Dorian » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Wish I could go.

Maybe one amongst the lovely Boltholers will be so nice to get one of the event exclusive HH anthologies for me. :mrgreen: I would be forever thankful and sacrifice a *insert sacrifice of your choice* in your honour to the Emperor or Chaos deity, whoever floats your boat. ;)
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby Malius » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:28 pm

Sounds like there is going to be one or two boltholers buying an awful lot of 'extra' exclusives from this :lol:
My blog
Malius

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events