Dark Vengeance Tie-in Fiction

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Dark Vengeance Tie-in Fiction

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:40 am

http://www.tastemybrains.blogspot.co.uk ... yours.html

Christian has shared some of his thoughts about the Dark Vengeance novella and the audio drama. Fascinating stuff. I'm looking forward to this stuff.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Re: Dark Vengeance Tie-in Fiction

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:06 am

Christian wrote:So that guy who they find floating above the mountain of corpses in The Ascension of Balthasar? Is that who I think it is?

It is. When I told Mike Lee that I'd used that character he was happy that at least one of his Calibanite Dark Angels had survived into the 41st Millennium.

??????

Now who could this be?

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Liliedhe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:34 pm

I have to admit I am stumped as to who that could be :(

Because, quite a number of the HH era Dark Angel characters do NOT originate with Fallen Angels - Zahariel, Nemiel, Israfael, Astelan, Cypher, Luther, Korswain etc are all older, coming from other published material or at least from Descent of Angels, written by Mitchell Scanlon.

The only characters that seem to fit that bill are Sergeant Kohl and his Squad, as well as Titus the Dreadnought. But, those are characters with the Lion during the campaign, so it is very unlikely they will become Fallen.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby BL-Christian » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:17 am

He's pictured on the left hand side of the cover art...
BL-Christian

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:30 am

That doesnt really help since its so tiny you need a microscope to make anything out there... :|

Looks like the guy is wearing a stuffed King Ghidorah on his back... :mrgreen:
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby BL-Christian » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:37 am

I've just updated my Facebook timeline cover with a crop that shows A****s in all his glory.
BL-Christian

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:38 am

Here it is:

Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:06 pm

Higher resolution image, courtesy of Jon himself:

shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Ok, I know who he is now. ^^ But I must admit he didn't really make a huge impression on me in the book. ;)
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Just picked up the eBook of the novella. Hmmmm, tempted to finish it superquick :D

shadowhawk2008

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:06 pm

I certainly recommend the novella, having just finished reading it. Incredibly gripping start to finish. The unusual structure of the narrative works really well. Think of it as an extreme version of Purging of Kadillus in that respect.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Fist of Dorn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:36 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:I certainly recommend the novella, having just finished reading it. Incredibly gripping start to finish. The unusual structure of the narrative works really well. Think of it as an extreme version of Purging of Kadillus in that respect.

Never really liked Purging of Kadillus so I'll give it a pass.
Fist of Dorn

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Err.... can I ask why you didn't like Kadillus?

shadowhawk2008

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:44 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Err.... can I ask why you didn't like Kadillus?

Poor Prologue & Epilogue going for the comic-goofy orks rather than the orks as a serious, sinister and brutal threat? That said, I rather enjoyed PoK, so on that 'extreme version' recommendation, you've sold me for this, SH!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Xisor wrote:For the comic-goofy orks rather than the orks as a serious, sinister and brutal threat?

Considering the Ork threat was Ghazgkull Mag Uruk Thraka that is simply unacceptable!

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:
Xisor wrote:For the comic-goofy orks rather than the orks as a serious, sinister and brutal threat?

Considering the Ork threat was Ghazgkull Mag Uruk Thraka that is simply unacceptable!

My thoughts exactly. That said, PoK is still a fine novel. Well, anthology really. But it works well despite the goofilogues. Not superb, I suppose and perhaps a little understated or low-key for a SMB novel, but it nevertheless works well and Gav writes more than well enough (in the non-goofilogue bits!).
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:54 am

In case anyone is interested, my review of the novella is up:

http://thefoundingfields.com/2012/09/da ... hadowhawk/

Enjoy!

shadowhawk2008

Postby Maestitia » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:47 pm

Really good review but this point disturbs me : "the step-by-step nature of the narrative".
Write like a scnario of the battle game is not a little bit boring?
I mean, see the story from so many characters don't bore you? Even if it's talking about The Fallen in the background?

I read 10/10, but it can't be perfect!
What are the negatives points for you? Even if there are minimal?
ImageCritiques sur les romans de la Black Library Warhammer 40 000Image
Image Le Reclusiam
Maestitia

Postby David Earle » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:37 am

It really is very good. Even if you don't care for the Dark Angels, it's hard not to feel a bit for the Crimson Slaughter.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Horus Lupercal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:42 am

The same opinion as my neighbor, this novel is a battle report long and boring, without literary quality. Writing a food commercial purpose, without soul. And the price is very indecent.
:|
Hello, I am the administrator of the "Black Librarium Forum", a French unofficial forum of the Black Library novels.
http://black-librarium.forumgratuit.org/
Horus Lupercal

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events