Read here first: Black Library Book Recommendations

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Major Rawne wrote:
Liliedhe wrote:In case I do read the Soul Drinkers, where does Daenyathos go? Is it a prequel?

The events depicted are before the two trilogies, however it's set between Hellforged and Phallanx.

Now, that sounds... confusing. :?:
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Major Rawne » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Liliedhe wrote:
Major Rawne wrote:
Liliedhe wrote:In case I do read the Soul Drinkers, where does Daenyathos go? Is it a prequel?

The events depicted are before the two trilogies, however it's set between Hellforged and Phallanx.

Not really. Think of it as a diary from centuries ago depicting events from that time, but where someone from now has written annotations all over it. Saying more would just be spoilerific :P
Major Rawne

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:46 pm

So, I shouldn't read it first? ;)

(I already read Phalanx. I doubt there is much it could spoiler for me.)
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Xisor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Major Rawne wrote:
Liliedhe wrote:
Major Rawne wrote:The events depicted are before the two trilogies, however it's set between Hellforged and Phallanx.

Not really. Think of it as a diary from centuries ago depicting events from that time, but where someone from now has written annotations all over it. Saying more would just be spoilerific :P

It's a flashback, best viewed where Rawne says so. :P Imagine watching Lost in chronological order!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

If I wanted to read about Orks

Postby Words_of_Truth » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:43 am

If I wanted to read about Orks in the 40k universe what books would you direct me to?
Words_of_Truth

Re: If I wanted to read about Orks

Postby Xisor » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:17 am

For good shows with orks as baddies:
- Survivor, short story. Don't do any research beforehand, just read it.
- Headhunted, short story.
- Gunheads
- Imperial Glory
- The Arkunasha War, short story
- Helsreach
- CL Werner's contrib. in Fear the Alien
- Siege of Castellax

There's others in which they've big roles, but for my tastes the above actually give *really decent* renditions of Orks as threats and bits to read. 'Headhunted' and 'Survivor' especially, though all of the above have plenty of merit!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby David Earle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:48 am

I'll throw Rynn's World into the mix - it's more Space Marine focused but the Orks are definitely a credible threat. Also The Purging of Kadillus - Xisor will disagree with me on this one but I enjoy the old-school "We are da Orkz" flavor of Ork every now and again, and besides that dialogue mode is a very small part of a good Orks vs Dark Angels book.

And what the hell, if you can beg borrow or steal a copy of the old Gorkamorka books, do so. (What happened to Gorkamorka? I'd really love to see more in that setting. I feel a fanfic coming on...)

Did anyone read Chains of Golgotha? That ought to be pretty damn Orky, but I haven't actually read the book.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:31 am

Chains of Golgotha is pretty damn good. I would certainly recommend it. Very Imperial focused, but has some great scenes. Also Guy Haley's Baneblade. Some great stuff there.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Vivia » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:13 am

There is a sticky for recommendations here.

Edit: moved Ork topic here.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Re: Read here first: Black Library Book Recommendations

Postby Rob P » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Looking for a novel with Beastman, but not Knight Errant. Cheers
Rob P

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Knight Errant come to mind :P

In seriousness my WHF is limited. From what I can see on my shelf Shamanslayer had plenty of beastmen in it.
Major Rawne

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Rob P wrote:Looking for a novel with Beastman, but not Knight Errant. Cheers

Orion: Vaults of Winter has Beastmen as the main foe.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Rob P » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Ta very much
Rob P

Postby Therion » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:58 pm

I'd like to read something well written. Well written like in well written, not "well written for a tie-in fiction".
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Xisor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Therion wrote:I'd like to read something well written. Well written like in well written, not "well written for a tie-in fiction".

I'd still point anyone and everyone at Legion of the Damned.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Therion wrote:I'd like to read something well written. Well written like in well written, not "well written for a tie-in fiction".

Well with that well written and clearly understood statement I can recommend you the following:

Probably nothing much at all.
Major Rawne

Postby Therion » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Major Rawne wrote:

Well with that well written and clearly understood statement I can recommend you the following:

Probably nothing much at all.

That's depressing XD .

Xisor wrote:

I'd still point anyone and everyone at Legion of the Damned.

Why?
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Xisor » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Therion wrote:Why?

It's a secret. An unguessable, imponderable, depressing secret.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Vivia » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Look for it in the "What Are You Reading" thread. It was a highly praised SMB book by Rob Sanders.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Rob P » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:08 pm

What is the order of the stories in the printed Architect of Fate anthology? [To not be off topic, let's phrase this as 'what order should I read them in?']
Rob P

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events