Page 2 of 4

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:13 pm
by Major Rawne
Well after an Ebay frenzy (that saw me up way too late last night) I picked up a veritable selection of books I missed in days gone by.

WHF:
Fell Cargo
The Dead and Damned
Day of the Daemon
Night of the Daemon
Hour of the Daemon
The Blades of Chaos
The Heart of Chaos
The Claws of Chaos
Blood of the Blood God
Palace of the Plague Lord
Magestorm
Necromancer


40k:
Brothers of the Snake
Flames of Damnation
Relentless
Iron Hands
Draco



Reinen wrote:Ravenwing is very good book!
Thanks!

It most certainly was.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:29 pm
by Bane Of Kings
Major Rawne wrote:Well after an Ebay frenzy (that saw me up way too late last night) I picked up a veritable selection of books I missed in days gone by.

WHF:
Fell Cargo
The Dead and Damned
Day of the Daemon
Night of the Daemon
Hour of the Daemon
The Blades of Chaos
The Heart of Chaos
The Claws of Chaos
Blood of the Blood God
Palace of the Plague Lord
Magestorm
Necromancer


40k:
Brothers of the Snake
Flames of Damnation
Relentless
Iron Hands
Draco



Reinen wrote:Ravenwing is very good book!
Thanks!

It most certainly was.


Brothers of the Snake is the only book that I've read. It's a great Abnett book, so go with that. I'd also like to know what you think of Iron Hands.

Now I'm going to ask for a recommendation. As I haven't been recieving ARCs in a while and have not heard from the folks there despite contacting them, I may be buying a Black Library book soon, and have narrowed it down to the following choices: The Masque of Vyle, Angels of Darkness, Chains of Golgatha, Ahriman: Exile and Flesh of Cretacia. Am leaving Betrayer out as it's the obvious choice - I want to wait until it's released in MMP as it's going to be cheaper as an e-copy and I'd rather not pay more than £10 for an ebook.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:59 pm
by Lord of the Night
Bane Of Kings wrote:Angels of Darkness
Ahriman: Exile

Those are the two i'd recommend.


LotN

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:54 pm
by Major Rawne
Bit of thredomancy or what :D

Currently reading Yarrick: Chains of Golgotha very, very good. You can't help but be sucked in by Yarrick's charisma. That man knows how to inspire.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:06 pm
by Vivia
It's a sticky, it will be here forevah. :P

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:40 pm
by shadowhawk2008
Angels of Darkness, Flesh of Cretacia.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:36 pm
by Bane Of Kings
Major Rawne wrote:Bit of thredomancy or what :D.


Thredomancy FTW.

So I'll probably go with Angels of Darkness judging by the positive recommendations.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:01 pm
by Liliedhe
As the Soul Drinkers Omnibusses^^ are out now, I'm wondering if I should get them or not. On the one hand, the whole story seems rather ... sueish to me (we are better than the Imperium, and they are hunting us for it). And Counter is always hit or miss for me, but much more miss than hit.

On the other hand, I am curious. And I read all other Space Marine series from BL already.

So, what do you think, if you read the books? Are they worth it?

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 pm
by shadowhawk2008
As a complete experience? Definite yes for me.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:26 pm
by Major Rawne
shadowhawk2008 wrote:As a complete experience? Definite yes for me.

Couldn't agree more. I love the guys in purple. so much so that I do hold out some small hope for more in the future.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 pm
by Lord of the Night
Major Rawne wrote:Couldn't agree more. I love the guys in purple. so much so that I do hold out some small hope for more in the future.

Spoiler: There'll never be anymore Soul Drinkers, as it should be. Anymore would negate their heroic deaths.



And yes Lil you should read the Soul Drinkers, it's an awesome series that is quite unique among the Space Marine books.


LotN

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:41 pm
by Major Rawne
Lord of the Night wrote:
Major Rawne wrote:Couldn't agree more. I love the guys in purple. so much so that I do hold out some small hope for more in the future.

Spoiler: There'll never be anymore Soul Drinkers, as it should be. Anymore would negate their heroic deaths.



And yes Lil you should read the Soul Drinkers, it's an awesome series that is quite unique among the Space Marine books.


LotN

Spoiler: Well who really knows. Didn't a couple of them not disappear off into the Warp/Eye never to be seen again


Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:09 pm
by Bellarius
Liliedhe wrote:As the Soul Drinkers Omnibusses^^ are out now, I'm wondering if I should get them or not. On the one hand, the whole story seems rather ... sueish to me (we are better than the Imperium, and they are hunting us for it). And Counter is always hit or miss for me, but much more miss than hit.


Honestly the series as a whole is very hit or miss and a roller-coaster ride in terms of quality. Good books are suddenly followed by average and bad ones while some of the series worst are immediately followed by its best. Something not helped by the fact the first novel has some fairly large plot holes which are never seem truly justified within its pages. A lot of the animosity towards the series was generated by the questionable writing of that opening book. If you're not enjoying things by the end of the second novel don't bother with the rest.

Major Rawne wrote:

Spoiler: Well who really knows. Didn't a couple of them not disappear off into the Warp/Eye never to be seen again



Spoiler: Given the first book featured someone being dragged into the Warp and outright killed due to its alien nature that's unlikely. The series started back when it was completely against the canon to have people casually strolling around the Warp fighting daemons and Counter doesn't seem like an author who would contradict that to milk a series a bit more.



By the way, mind if I ask how you'd rank Iron Hands in comparison to Wrath of Iron?

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:11 pm
by shadowhawk2008
I talked to Ben Counter about this after Phalanx was released, and he said that he's done with the series. There are hardly any Soul Drinkers left, as a chapter, to warrant writing more about them and he considers their arc to be pretty much over.

I would LOVE for more Soul Drinkers but I think Ben has moved on and is focusing on the Imperial Fists for the foreseeable future.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 pm
by Xisor
Liliedhe wrote:So, what do you think, if you read the books? Are they worth it?


Strictly speaking, I've only read Phalanx, but I did speak to a GW-y bloke the other day who talked at length on them: apparently - they're well worth it. A few others have mentioned Counter's excellent use of supporting characters in the series, as well as the obviously somewhat 'dodgy' conceit of the series itself (an 'honest' rebellion gone bad...?), well, I know that even at Phalanx I was deeply dubious of the series (and, in some cases, of Ben's writing), but I find myself in the same position as yourself: should I just buy 'em and read 'em?

I'm inclined to think yes. Regardless of the commentary on Ben's writing, he's usually relatively straight forward reading - his prose doesn't drain (even when it's dealing with tedious characters a la the Ultramarine/Word Bearer slant of Battle for the Abyss) and even his mega-purple, thickly-laid-on stuff (a la Hammer of Daemons) is still enjoyable enough to read. As an exercise in curiosity (and seeing what works versus what doesn't) alone, I think they're probably worthwhile and satisfying reads. But if you're not fussed on seeing the bits 'that don't work', then I imagine they're probably not quite so rewarding.

To that end, I'd think I probably will get a hold of them, sooner or later. The GW-y bloke seemed pretty keen on them ('cept the one before Phalanx, which he felt "got away from Counter", so to speak).

Ultimately: I'm curious.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:18 am
by Liliedhe
Thanks for all the advice. I also skimmed Phalanx (since it was in H&B) and wasnt extremely thrilled, since once more the IF got played for tools. Sigh. But that wouldnt be a problem with the rest of the books.

And Xisor is right that Counter even when he misses is still readable and so far I finished everything I read from him.

@Bellarius: did you ask me? Well, Iron Hands was a bit of a drag. The characters were not very memorable and the plot was somewhat confusing. Wrath of Iron I never finished. I lost interest where it was bogged down in Hive politics and so far didnt manage to pick it up again.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:51 pm
by Bellarius
Liliedhe wrote:@Bellarius: did you ask me? Well, Iron Hands was a bit of a drag. The characters were not very memorable and the plot was somewhat confusing. Wrath of Iron I never finished. I lost interest where it was bogged down in Hive politics and so far didnt manage to pick it up again.


Actually I was asking Major Rawne as his earlier post stated he'd bought it, but thank you none the less. Given that you have an even lower opinion of Wrath of Iron than I had by the end, it's a good indication to not try and buy the novel.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:06 pm
by Major Rawne
Bellarius wrote:
Liliedhe wrote:@Bellarius: did you ask me? Well, Iron Hands was a bit of a drag. The characters were not very memorable and the plot was somewhat confusing. Wrath of Iron I never finished. I lost interest where it was bogged down in Hive politics and so far didnt manage to pick it up again.


Actually I was asking Major Rawne as his earlier post stated he'd bought it, but thank you none the less. Given that you have an even lower opinion of Wrath of Iron than I had by the end, it's a good indication to not try and buy the novel.

I have yet to get around to Iron Hands. However I was quite the fan of Wrath of Iron.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 pm
by Liliedhe
In case I do read the Soul Drinkers, where does Daenyathos go? Is it a prequel?

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 pm
by Major Rawne
Liliedhe wrote:In case I do read the Soul Drinkers, where does Daenyathos go? Is it a prequel?

The events depicted are before the two trilogies, however it's set between Hellforged and Phallanx.