Read here first: Black Library Book Recommendations

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Read here first: Black Library Book Recommendations

Postby Vivia » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 pm

This is a thread where people can ask for recommendations and receive suggestions. WH and 40k, it all goes here.
A bit of explanation is always helpful when you ask or recommend a book or books.
Have fun!
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:16 pm

I'm after space opera that carries itself out with a sense of melancholy. Any Recommendations?
schaferwhat‽

Postby Vivia » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:40 pm

I think The Gildar Rift is a little space opera with a sense of melancholy. You've probably heard about this novel. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby David Earle » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:22 pm

The Ravenor series definitely makes me think "melancholy". Of course you might have to read through Eisenhorn first, which is relatively more upbeat. Not that that's a bad thing! :D
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:45 am

two very good recommendations, read em both though. I think I may be unrecommendable with regards BL works I read far too many of them.
schaferwhat‽

Blood on the Reik

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:44 am

The Warhammer Fantasy series by Sandy Mitchell. Has anyone actually read this trilogy? And if so is it good and worth trying to find a few used copies of?

Because the covers are just niiice, simple but nice, and I like the very bare bits I have been able to read of the plot.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby zAngle » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:10 am

If you are referring to the "Death's" series by Sandy Mitchell, I have them, read them, and loved them.
You can find my blog at troubledscribe.wordpress.com
zAngle

Postby sam vimes » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:19 am

Agree with zang I've only read the last one as at the time thats all tne central library had, rocking good book, now for my request I'm looking over at my HH collection debating what to read, I've got up to age of darkness, can some one recommend one to me please
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby davij038 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:28 am

The war hammer sandy Mitchell series is very good not amazing, but entertaining enough.
davij038

Postby Balhaar » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 pm

If you want a cracking good WHF read I would suggest trying to find a copy of The Burning Shore. Or just buy the Florin and Lorenzo omnibus as it is in there. Who doesn't love Lizardmen?
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is due out on august 1st 2011. Search 'Aaron J Booth' on facebook to see the cover art.
Balhaar

Postby Bane Of Kings » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Saw a copy of CL Werner's Palace of the Plague Lord in town last week, in a second hand bookstore. Is it worth picking up?
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby Vivia » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Oh yes, it's worth it. The story is similar to the Warhammer Heroes series, a dark tale with a hero of the nasty kind. As one of the characters puts it: 'I came here for blood and for death', that's what you should expect. A wonderful and detailed depiction of the Chaos Wastes. I highly recommend it.
Vivia

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:37 am

Lets see if this still has some life in it. What are some recommendations for some WHF? I'm thinking I need to expand my collection somewhat, and have been looking at some of the older stuff. The stuff that passed me by way back when I started reading BL stuff.
Major Rawne

Postby Xisor » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 am

It's not so old, certainly, but Swords of the Emperor is a shockingly decent investment. Detailed and in-depth, but compared to a lot of what I like, it really benefits from Wraight's 'light touch' in the prose. Not too descriptive in places, not too light or jokey, but with enough of a twang of character and charm that it has its own voice.

Of course, Clint's stuff's tremendous too - it'd be difficult to go wrong with his earlier material, from what I gather. Myself, I enjoyed Bill King's Gotrek & Felix works, certainly. Not super-duper awesome, but heartily entertaining.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 am

Fantasy-wise, The Burning Shore, by Robert Earl (first of the Florin and Lorenzo books--I haven't encountered the others) and Wine of Dreams, by Brian Craig, stand out as firm favorites of mine.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Xisor » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:03 am

Mossy Toes wrote:Fantasy-wise, The Burning Shore, by Robert Earl (first of the Florin and Lorenzo books--I haven't encountered the others) and Wine of Dreams, by Brian Craig, stand out as firm favorites of mine.

Good gravy, I'd forgotten all about The Burning Shore. It's tremendous! I wasn't so enamoured with The Wine of Dreams, myself, but it's certainly enjoyable enough.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:15 am

Xisor wrote:I wasn't so enamoured with The Wine of Dreams, myself, but it's certainly enjoyable enough.

I found it a perfect depiction of the superstitious (yet fattened and made lax by lack of conflict) southern Empire, coupled with the creeping and insidious machinations of Chaos. But that might just be me.

Plus Sergeant Mathias was a stellar character.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:24 am

You loved the Florin and Lorenzo books. Was Fell Cargo a decent read?
Major Rawne

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 am

Major Rawne wrote:Lets see if this still has some life in it. What are some recommendations for some WHF? I'm thinking I need to expand my collection somewhat, and have been looking at some of the older stuff. The stuff that passed me by way back when I started reading BL stuff.

The Blackhearts Omnibus by Nathan Long. Deserters and convicts given a second chance to prove themselves as spies for the Empire. If you've enjoyed Gotrek & Felix, the Raymond E. Feist Riftwar stuff, and C.L.Werner's Dead Winter then this is right up that alley.

C.L.Werner's Blood for the Blood God is also an excellent tale about one of Khorne's greatest champions. Very horror type stuff in a GOOD slasher movie style.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Reinen » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Ravenwing is very good book!
Thanks!
Reinen

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events