Question about submission

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Question about submission

Postby Barghest » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:46 am

Quick question. The submission guidelines state that the writing sample for a short story submission has to be 1000 words. My question is how flexible is this? My sample is about 1100 words and I feel that cutting anything from it will either hurt the scene or require I remove a fair amount in order to clean up.
If I ask a question and you have anything negative to say, don't waste your time posting it or my time reading it. I won't pay you for sarcasm.
Barghest

Re: Question about submission

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:14 am

It is always best to adhere to the submission guidelines. If the requirement is a 1000-word sample then try to get it to that size. However, if there is absolutely no way for you to cut it down then either see if anything can be reworked or leave it as it is.

The guidelines are just that, guidelines. Getting close is fine but not if it is going to hurt your narrative.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Malcador » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Seconded. I think someone even mentioned that the Editors said it doesn't matter to them that much, as long as you don't go overboard. Not overdoing it can only help you.
If you can't lower Heaven, RAISE HELL!
Malcador

Postby Raziel4707 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Personal rule of thumb is that no-one is going to count but if it's obvious at first glance you're well over, you could end up in the "does not follow instructions" pile, which looks like this:

Raziel4707

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:44 pm

I don’t know if this still applies, but a wee while ago the ten percent rule was mentioned by Christian himself, I think. You’re allowed a bit of lea way either side of the 1000 words.
Ordos: Lectorformator

Enter my children,
Enter and join the betrayed,
Enter and leave the light,
Enter and forever join the ranks of the damned.

My latest effort: Useful Adversaries and Heart’s desire

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Postby Barghest » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks, I really appreciate the help!
If I ask a question and you have anything negative to say, don't waste your time posting it or my time reading it. I won't pay you for sarcasm.
Barghest

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events