BL Submissions Support 2012

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: BL Submissions Support 2012

Postby MalkyDel » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Surely with recruitment stories it's the Chapter-specific nuances that make it original then? Especially if it's one we haven't seen before. Like Si Spurrier's Doom Eagle one.
MalkavianDelirium

<3 Fan of Erebus <3

Then one day at Istvaan III,
Horus came to say.
"Fulgrim with your clothes so bright,
won't you help me slay tonight?"
Then all the rebels loved him
And they shouted out with glee.
"Fulgrim the Traitor Primarch,
you'll go down in history!"
MalkyDel

Postby Rob P » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Yes. The basic point i'm making is that there is a struggle to keep within the box that the guidelines restrict you to and still come up with something completely original to stand out there because the two ideas are a little at odds. This is because GW don't expect something that it entirely original. I'd go as far as to say that it shouldn't be wholly original at all. Common ingredients with a dash of originality via, for example, chapter/regiment specific things do it.

Again, another example:

A squad of Imperial Fists is sent to rescue a cat from a Necron ship.

A squad of Imperial Guard is sent to rescue a cat from a Necron Ship.

A squad of Blood Angels is sent to rescue a cat from a Necron Ship.

A squad of cats is sent to rescue a cat from a Necron Ship.

With a few tweaks all 4 stories could be published and be significantly different. The actual originality comes from the writer's take on the factions and the differences between the factions.

edit: I suppose what i'm trying to get at is that just because the last H&B had a story in that is quite similar to the one you have been working on (as is often the case) doesn't mean that you should scrap it and start afresh on something more original.
Rob P

Postby MalkyDel » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Tell me more about these cats...
MalkavianDelirium

<3 Fan of Erebus <3

Horus came to say.
MalkyDel

Postby Jim Shady » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:43 pm

MalkyDel wrote:Tell me more about these cats...

Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Postby Catalyst1980 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:46 pm

narrativium wrote:but they also pointed to new author David Guymer as an example, and he hadn't been previously published).

Quite right. They did indeed. I'm not saying its not possible, but the odds are not in our favour. Of course some will get through (Malky) but I'd hate to think that there are aspiring writers out there who are pinning all their hopes on getting in with the BL. I'm not saying you won't make it, hell, I'm still trying... but try other markets too. Maximise your chances.
One can only progress through conflict, else stagnation prevails.

This way to salvation...
Catalyst1980

Postby MalkyDel » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:20 pm

I really want to start broadening my horizons and seeing what else I can submit to. That's going to be one of my goals in 2013.
MalkavianDelirium

<3 Fan of Erebus <3

Horus came to say.
MalkyDel

Postby Jelboy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:37 pm

So if we add cats to the story we have more of a chance of success? This sounds like my kind of submission!
Jelboy

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Jelboy wrote:So if we add cats to the story we have more of a chance of success? This sounds like my kind of submission!

Yes lots of cats. Feral, domesticated, wild, big or small. Perhaps Cats the Musical 40k'ed up?
Major Rawne

Postby Hercule Pyro » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Major Rawne wrote:
Jelboy wrote:So if we add cats to the story we have more of a chance of success? This sounds like my kind of submission!

Yes lots of cats. Feral, domesticated, wild, big or small. Perhaps Cats the Musical 40k'ed up?

Well, they did add cat-people abhumans in 6th edition's appendix of abhumans. Whether they are a world of anime catgirls or an entire world of The Cat from Red Dwarf, we just don't know.
"Holy HP Lovecraft spinning through the thirteen abyssal planes on a propane grill!"
Hercule Pyro

Postby J D Dunsany » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:59 pm

MalkyDel wrote:I really want to start broadening my horizons and seeing what else I can submit to. That's going to be one of my goals in 2013.

This, I think, is a very sensible approach to take. I know that over the last few years, I've been focusing almost entirely on writing BL fanfic, but writing for the Bolthole anthology has reminded me that there's lots of fun - and creative satisfaction - from spreading your wings and writing outside that admittedly rich and varied, but still quite restrictive, setting.

I also know that the window before last (I didn't submit in 2011) the realisation that I wasn't going to get accepted upset me to a degree it really shouldn't have - and, again, I think that was down to the 'all eggs in one basket' approach I had at the time. This time around, I'm a bit more sanguine about the (likely) rejection, in large part because I've got the Bolthole anthologies to get my creative juices flowing.

All the best!

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Dorns Padawan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:44 pm

I have an idea for submission for 2013 BUT - does anyone know if BL will accept the story if it is written like the stories of old i.e like in Rogue Trader style? The style/format of story would be similar to the Ian Watson & Storm Constantine short stories. My short story idea would be an Inquisition story hunting down a rogue psyker. Just don't want to waste my time & effort. Unfortunately I never made it to the BLW so couldn't ask.
Dorns Padawan

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:18 pm

I hear tell that in future years BL is going to go back to specific themes windows, rather than open submissions.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby He2etic » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:05 am

Tylorva wrote:They stated that self-published doesn't count. Prior publications only count if they've been through a full editorial process.

The other tip that got thrown out a few tips - Make sure you put the WAR in Warhammer.

That's really frustrating because the Bolthole anthologies are self published in name only. We edit the crap out of them. Maybe they notice that, maybe they don't. Who knows. But perhaps we should set up a tiny business after Marching Time so our work is better recognized.
He2etic

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:10 am

Whilst it is disparaging to all self published works that are done properly the reasoning is fairly sound. It was established in clarifications at previous BLLs that there are limits to even the non self published route, really obscure publications won't help for one.

There's fanfic on here that goes through several sets of eyes before the draft hits the internet, put under editorial scrutiny and what not. It isn't so much the editing as the fact that someone with commercial sensibilities has deemed the work worthy of purchasing and the suggestion that the author has acted in a professional manner to achieve the credit.

Creating a company so that we can use these projects as a way to jump ahead of future windows at BL seems off to me, when really the editing and writing and what not should be seen as a decent way of self improvement to better our odds at getting published elsewhere anyways.

Especially considering the fact that BL seems to be planning when the backlog is over windows of increased frequency, decreased length and tighter conditions. Writing good enough with an idea that BL will actually like is still the main hurdle we have to jump across a Bolthole business umbrella for our publishing endeavours doesn't help that any really.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Jelboy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:37 am

I think if your 'self-publishing' endeavours are particularly successfully then I'm sure they (BL) would take that into consideration. If your self publishing efforts are extremely successful then you really might not be concerned whether BL want to publish your work and you might be more interested in poaching their authors for your IP !

I do like the possibility of more targetted submission windows - I think it will serve both them and us (potential submitters) better.
Jelboy

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:20 am

Laurie said on FB that he hasn't had a chance to look at submissions for the last few months (he specifies since august, when he was roughly halfway through). So... a few more months then? I'd say there probably won't be a themed window open until the 2012 submissions have been processed.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Catalyst1980 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 am

Dorns Padawan wrote: Just don't want to waste my time & effort.

Don't think like that dude. It's never a waste of time to write a story even if you don't think it will ever see the light of day. There's so much to learn like re-drafting, editing etc...

The biggest obstacle any new writer faces beyond getting started is actually finishing a piece. If you can do this then great, but thats just the beginning. You need to be able to do it consistantly and be able to take on new short story ideas regularly and run with them so that they too actually get finished. Its all practice or to put it another way - its honing your craft. With enough practice, one of those pieces may actually see the light of day. Keep finishing stories so that one day, when the next BL window opens, you'll have a bank of potential submissions ready and waiting.

Now go write that story! :)
One can only progress through conflict, else stagnation prevails.

This way to salvation...
Catalyst1980

Postby Malcador » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:58 pm

News? Success? Money?
If you can't lower Heaven, RAISE HELL!
Malcador

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Malcador wrote:News? Success? Money?

Still nothing.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Squiggle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:16 am

Nobody even asked when he thought he would have it all done by! :?

I think it might turn into the forgotten submissions window of legend. :cry:
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events