What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Xisor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 am

I didn't get the younger vibe either, but I also really enjoyed it. Not my usual taste but Toby managed an excellent and pleasantly simple/down-to-earth novel. Would be very keen to read more form his repertoire.

Myself, I finished a re-read of CS Goto's excellent "Salvation". I'm not sure how they managed "Warrior <nouns>" duo, but "Salvation" was a genuinely fascinating and enjoyable read. Some really tremendous bits of low-key 40k. Unexpectedly good, given Goto's rep, and more so given I'd already read and enjoyed it and been surprised the first time!

I also raced through Stanislaw Lem's "Solaris" too. Somewhat dated in its way, but its also one of the most brilliantly compelling bits of SF I've read in a very long time. Really ticked all my boxes: tons of big ideas, small cast, cramped setting, long 'nothing happening in a cave (space station)' moments, a good mix of dialogue with exposition and asides, a lot of history and sense of 'culture' pertaining to the thing, a lot of plausible evocation of unreal science.

Damn decent, and blooming fascinating. I think "Solaris" will stay with me for a good long while. I wonder how it holds up in Polish?

Now, I'm a good halfway through "Binti: Home", in which I'm stepping away from my usual tastes, and very hugely enjoying it nonetheless. I'm quite tempted to check out "Phoenix" next.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Still on Straken

Bear in mind i'm only a couple fo chapters in.

The tone so far is a little off what I expected, it's more Star Wars than Starship Troopers. That's not to say i'm not enjoying it.

I also feel we are being spoon fed the factions, but that is probably a big plus for entry level to 40k.

Obviously, it could swerve the other way in no time.

I am also finding it to be a pleasant smooth read.
Rob P

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Mythos, Stephen Fry.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Therion » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:34 pm

Xisor wrote:I also raced through Stanislaw Lem's "Solaris" too. Somewhat dated in its way, but its also one of the most brilliantly compelling bits of SF I've read in a very long time. Really ticked all my boxes: tons of big ideas, small cast, cramped setting, long 'nothing happening in a cave (space station)' moments, a good mix of dialogue with exposition and asides, a lot of history and sense of 'culture' pertaining to the thing, a lot of plausible evocation of unreal science.

Damn decent, and blooming fascinating. I think "Solaris" will stay with me for a good long while. I wonder how it holds up in Polish?

I'd also recommend his Fiasco (and perhaps Pilot Pirx as an introduction) and Invincible if you like unusual takes on first contact.
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events