What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:42 pm

So The Warmaster was excellent. It was great to finally be back with Gaunts and his Ghosts, so much happened and so much was cruely left open ended for the next book.

Moving away from BL for the next read, Welcome to Night Vale. Very weird so far, like what I heard of the podcast.
Major Rawne

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Finished Devastation Of Baal – Wowee 10/10 for me again. This one had everything. Mysterious visions by Mephiston. Guy Haley made me actually feel how old and weary Dante is after 1500 years made me weary to try to fathom living that long. Interesting point of view and sad if it’s true by Gabriel Seth from the Flesh Tearers regarding his opinion on the Primaris Marines. I was expecting Deathwatch to show up but a mysterious chapter of Black Space Marines adorned with f****s and s****s show up. This book surprises and amazes. Highly recommended. Hope Guy Haley writes more Blood Angels and hopefully Sanguinius in the Primarch series.

Now back to the Horus Heresy Reading Book 36 – The Path Of Heaven – Chris Wraight.

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:12 am

Taking a pause on The Path Of Heaven and then resuming from Chapter 12. Going back to the Scars novel to Read Chapters 20-23 Confrontation between Jaghatai Khan and Mortarion.

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 am

A Ramsey Campbell novella next: Needing Ghosts.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 pm

Grass, Sheri S Tepper.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Xisor » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm

I finished up Devastation of Baal last week (tremendous, btw), and nipped right on into Ruinstorm by David Annandale.

Got to a point where I'm really enjoying the monumental weirdness of it. (Classic Annandale style, now let free to fly quite bonkers.) That said, I did take a step back at one point and think "I can remember almost none of this Imperium Secundus business", so now I'm partially stepping aside from it to have a big re-read of:
- The First Heretic
- Fear to Tread
- Vulkan Lives
- Know No Fear
- Barry of Espandor
- Macragge's Honour
- The Honoured & the Unburdened
- Betrayer
- The Unremembered Empire
- Deathfire
- Heart of the Pharos
- Pharos
- Angels of Caliban
- Ruinstorm (not yet read)
- Sons of the Forge (not yet read)
- Old Earth (not yet read)

I should probably see about getting Prince of Crows in there, and possibly The Lion too, but already it's a huge list! :o
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:53 pm

Wow that’s a whole lot of novels to get through Xisor.

Finished The Path Of Heaven wow 10/10. Excellent work Mr. Wraight. That creature Mortarion had the “djemdja falak” was utterly grimdark.
Now someone write a novel for Revuel Arvida Sorcerer of the Thousand Sons who becomes something else…..(Not telling). Also I wonder if there are any Thousand Sons remaining currently in the lore that are somewhere out there still in their red and gold armour loyal to the Emperor. That would be cool.

Now off to read Lucius: the Faultless Blade by Ian St. Martin

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Xisor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:13 pm

Aristedes Colettas wrote:Wow that’s a whole lot of novels to get through Xisor.

Perhaps too many, I got a third into 'The First Heretic' and found myself wanting to nip back to the Ant Reynolds one in Tales of Heresy! I then grew impatient about getting back to 'Ruinstorm', so I'm... bookmarking the idea! :lol:

Aristedes Colettas wrote:Finished The Path Of Heaven wow 10/10. Excellent work Mr. Wraight. That creature Mortarion had the “djemdja falak” was utterly grimdark.
Now someone write a novel for Revuel Arvida Sorcerer of the Thousand Sons who becomes something else…..(Not telling). Also I wonder if there are any Thousand Sons remaining currently in the lore that are somewhere out there still in their red and gold armour loyal to the Emperor. That would be cool.

Couldn't agree more - I thought Wraight did amazing things with Scars, but Path of Heaven managed to sustain and even surpass it. Gorgeous novels!

----

'Ruinstorm' is surprisingly decent - I really like a lot of the constancy of the madness Annandale's had the opportunity to play with.

I'm not as enamoured with his depiction of the Primarchs directly, but their dance against the storm is a hugely satisfying read - compared to somewhat similar novels like "Unremembered Empire", "Fear To Tread", "Deathfire" and such, it feels like a much tighter vision of a novel, one that has a lot more internal consistency and integrity and vision - which for a cosmic horror epic, is surprisingly human and relatable. Some really terrific stuff.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:58 pm

I've been reading more Lincoln Rhymes over the last few weeks (books 4-6). So far so good but library doesn't have the next one.

I've just picked up Old Earth and i'm contemplating The Last Hunt after that.
Rob P

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events