Skip to content

What Are You Reading?

An area for the discussion of current or pending Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Squiggle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Have actually been listening this month. Picked up Eisenhorn - Xenos on Audible read by Tony Longworth and I have to say he more than does the book justice. It reminded me of what a great book it was (is) and also what a great job of world building Dan Abnett did when he wrote it. Well worth checking out - I am not sure I have £30 for these audio books but Audible means you can listen to one a month for £7.99 and the first month is free.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:30 am

The Moon Pool, A Merritt.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Finished Seventh Retribution and Trial by Blood over the course of this weekend. Both certainly worth my time.

Diving into Nagash The Undying King next as my first real foray into Age of Sigmar fiction. Have some high hopes for Josh Reynolds on this one.
Major Rawne

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:10 am

Finished The Serpent Beneath. Amazing as always Mr. Rob Sanders.
Now back to reading War Without End after a brief pause and picking up with The Harrowing short story written by the aforementioned Rob Sanders.

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Xisor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:36 pm

Rawne is right indeed: "Malodrax" is a hell of a read. Really good stuff from Ben.

Now I think I'm hopping on to Justin D Hill's stuff - Cadian shorts plus Cadia stands. His "Deadhenge" in "Deathwatch:Ignition" was a fine read.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby J D Dunsany » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:08 am

A silly ton of stuff.

Read a couple of Bradbury shorts I'd never read before recently, both of which take very simple ideas and, in that characteristically unhurried, lyrical way of his, plays them out with extraordinary elegance - Mars Is Heaven (spoiler: it isn't really), and There Will Come Soft Rains, an incredibly beautiful - and, in some respects, naive - post-apocalyptic elegy for the human race. Rather like the poem that inspires it.

The thing about both of them is the slow, deliberate pace, the vivid impressions of sensual detail, the nostalgic yearning that flirts with trite sentimentality, but, in the end, demurely declines its proffered lift home. Awesome stuff.

As, incidentally, is Tales of Alternaties & Far Stars by a certain C S Barlow. Not too far in to this, but already I am... savouring. Vanceian science fantasy that manages to be both warm and deliciously arch, the first two tales at least crackle and throb with invention and the kind of linguistic richness I've always found terribly appealing. Well worth a look.

I'm dipping in to some late 60s/early 70s British sf and fantasy, too. This is stuff I really should have read by now. Ian Watson's Gardens of Delight is a ridiculous idea presented seriously enough (that is, not too seriously) and, as with the previous two authors mentioned in this post, there's a linguistic inventiveness that is, at times, breathtaking. Bonkers, but in a weirdly (and powerfully) thought-provoking way.

Oh, and I'm enjoying Know No Fear. Because of all the HH/40K writers I've read, Abnett knows how to properly rough up a planet. :)

All the best for now!

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 am

Bradbury is a genre God. And that's my favourite Watson. And I love you. (And if you do finish Alternaties, and if you have the time and inclination, please leave a comment on the Amazon page - garnering the things is like trying to get blood from a stone.)
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Rob P » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Edit: Re-worded

I enjoyed the underlying themes of this book and many of the wider arc plot points. There were a number of pretty cool scenes and I liked how the issues raised develop the characters going forward. There are also a number of cool fluff points. [No spoilers]

The writing was easy to read and I though purple prose was avoided.

What I found frustrating is that it doesn't work brilliantly as a standalone novel (it's the end of mini-arc within a huge series) and many of the events felt a little unoriginal.

I don't think the book is terrible at all but I do feel that it was a victim of what it needed to achieve. Also the fate of all of the protagonists is well established and this affected the sense of danger and surprise.
Rob P

Postby Athelassan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 pm

Most of my books have been packed into boxes ready for their new home, but I have been trying to read through those that remain unboxed.

Recently finished:

The Silmarillion - less unreadable than I had been led to believe. Still pretty unreadable in places.
Depression and other Magic Tricks by Sabrina Benaim - A strong handful of opening poems promised more than the remainder could deliver, but still a thoroughly worthwhile read.
The Night Mayor by Kim Newman - Thoroughly weird even by Newman standards. Probably a bit arch and overdone, to be honest, but if you like exaggerated meta-pulp noir it's enjoyable enough.

Now reading:
The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy. Shades of Midnight's Children here. Enjoying it thus far.
Notes from a Small Island, Bill Bryson. Something of a classic I somehow missed until now.
The Murder of King James I. An important and interesting new examination of an important and interesting period.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Xisor » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:31 pm

I've been doing some catch-up on long-overdue pieces.

I picked up a copy of Godel, Escher, Bach, and I've been dipping into Schafer's Utopia for Realists by Rutger Bergman (in the aim of returning it to its rightful owner with some reflection, not merely unread). I've also started hopping into Fortune & Glory by David McIntee - what seems to be a slightly tongue-in-cheek introduction to the history of some pop-treasure-hunter ideas.

Otherwise, I've also been listening to some Horus Heresy audios that have been outstanding on my to-read list.

The Binary Succession - utterly excellent. Easily Annadale's best that I've read (err, listened to). Production values are very high, as is the quality of the story itself.
Dark Compliance - a grand and detailed look, though has me itching to read Tallarn for more of John French's work.
Eye of Night - a great little post-The Gathering Storm quintet of stories by Gav Thorpe. Well acted, but a little 'light' compared to The Binary Succession.

I nipped through the concluding stories of Shattered Legions (Guy Haley's Salamanders are amazingly well done, didn't care for The Seventh Serpent, but it was less vexing than Vengeful Spirit, so swings and roundabouts.), as well as drawing to the conclusion of Corax by Gav Thorpe (really enjoying Weregeld; almost done with it, but it's really good - indeed, I almost wish Gav had had this level of brooding awkwardness for Corax all the way through his Raven Guard stories - the view from his commanders/people around him makes it all the more... compelling. And somewhat scary!)

Otherwise, I've also been racing through Cadia Stands by Justin D Hill, as well as the attendant short stories. I think there's something really easy-going about his writing, something that lets me absolutely race through them and keeps me gripped. Does mean that some of the passages skip past things I'd prefer time was spent on, but he's done excellent work in making the whole thing feel like it's falling apart. His Creed is just the right level of 'action hero' for an Imperial Guard commander (which is to say: not very much), with his supporting cast being absolutely excellent. And huge.

Perhaps a bit light (prose-wise), for my tastes, but it's also coupled to some utterly jaw-dropping scenes. And chilling ones. And depressing ones. Indeed, who knew that the 13th Black Crusade would be so depressing?

Anyway - he's really managed to bring Cadia alive in a terrific (and, indeed: horrific) way. Deft touches evoking the right levels of atmosphere and suspense without labouring the point, or gliding over issues of character and plot and sense.

Indeed, given how hamstrung the story ostensibly is by the nature of the events it covers, he's woven it into a really neat story so far.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Shaggy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:11 pm

I have to say... "Ruinstorm" really doesn't do it for me. I hate to say that, because my most-disliked HH novel is "The Damnation Of Pythos", and I really don't like the idea that I might be victimising David Annandale... but it simply doesn't hack it in a lot of ways. He doesn't do too badly with the personal work on the Primarchs, but the story as a whole... no.

Having heard about the sad death of Julian May, I'm now re-reading her incredible "Saga Of The Exiles" quadrilogy, and will obviously follow that up with "Intervention". I may give the Milieu Trilogy another go as well... it was a massive disappointment when I first read it, but maybe the years will have granted a different perspective.
The Many-Coloured Land was one of the things (along with Roger Zelazby's "Amber" series, and a few others) that really got me into SF/fantasy way back when, and it's come alive on the umpteenth re-read (and after at least a decade) almost as much as when I first picked it up.
RIP ShipMistress... :(
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Olympos, Dan Simmons. Big eff-off brick of a book, like its predecessor, Ilium.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Finished up the last of Nagash: The Undying King last night. Very good on the whole, and certainly has me keen for more Age of Sigmar though the ending did feel somewhat of a letdown (much that I didn't get what I wanted than because it was bad).

Back onto Watchers of the Throne. A little under halfway through and some heartbreaking news has arrived. It gives you some really wonderful stuff to think about, and has some nice tie-ins to last years Beast Arises series in terms of how things have changed since the Heresy.
Major Rawne

Postby Rob P » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Currently reading Postcapitalism by Paul Mason. Feels like style over substance so far. Coming to the half way point and can't tell whether my 'feels' is correct because it uses a lot of jargon that might as well be gibberish.

Also reading The Gift of Joy by Ian Whates. It a collection of short stories and the author is rated as up-and-coming by Ian Watson. I'm about 5 stories in. The stories are a little bland at the moment. Does feel like an author finding their feet. They don't feel polished enough.
Rob P

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:45 pm

Currently reading Farsight: Crisis of Faith by Phil Kelly. I went into this with ZERO expectations, i've read most of what Black Library has published and in that I have read two stories by Mr Kelly. The first was Iron Soul, a short 1000-word story about an Iron Hands Dreadnought and a Space Wolves Wolf Priest, it was quite good and had a very surprising twist at the end. The other was Blood Oath, a novella in the Damocles anthology that had one of the worst depictions of the White Scars ever and was just generally poorly written with the only two good things being the depiction of the Riptide Battlesuits very first use in war, and establishing the character Aun'va as a huge dick. (Seriously, the guy's a colossal douchebag.)

So Farsight was a book that I was leery of. I finally decided what the hell a week ago and picked up the last copy my local GW had. I'm too early in to give the book a full opinion, but apart from some typos (a few missing spaces and an instance where Kelly attributes a line of dialogue from Ob'lotai to O'Vesa who isn't actually in the scene), the book has actually been pretty good. Farsight comes across as a character who truly believes in his cause, but finds it hard to reconcile the ideal with the occasionally or often harsh reality that both the Greater Good and 40k respectively can demand, while the character Malcaor is very interesting for spoilery reasons but I am very curious to see where the Water Spider ends up, and Aun'va continues to be a giant asshole.

Only a third of the way into the book, but it's smooth sailing so far. The Arthas Moloch snippets were very good, the first true instance of the T'au seeing the hellish reality behind the 40k universe and how they attempt to rationalise and react to it says a lot about their character as a race, and i'm very much enjoying the leadup to the legendary Farsight Expedition that will make O'Shovah into the exile-hero we all know him as. Here's hoping the book continues to be enjoyable!

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 am

Finished War Without End

Reading Eclipse Of Hope novella by David Annandale
Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:17 am

Continuing with the Mephiston story. Reading Mephiston: Lord Of Death by David Annandale.
Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Xisor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:51 am

Turns out Cadia Stands was really rather good! As is Rachel Harrison's Execution.

I've nipped on to Ghost Warrior by Gav Thorpe and really loving it (Eldrad's Staff of Ultramar! :lol: ), though...

Spoiler: Althenian, the Exarch-Wraithlord from Valedor is back in his Wraithlord frame, despite being returned to the armour in his shrine at the end of Valedor, so that particular heartbreak there is somewhat diminished.

Nevertheless, thrilled to shove on with it. Though I've a bit more of Utopia for Realists to read before returning it to its rightful owner this weekend.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Fenris » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Just realized that i've not read anything (warhammer or not) since finishing my 4-40k books-from-christmas streak back in march.Finally finding a job took its toll on my spare time.

And Amazon taunts me with the second Dune book for less than 2€....+ i still have something like 6 various books to read laying around (including 2/3rd of the 4th Gaunt omnibus)...what to do...
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby David Earle » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:37 am

The Lies of Locke Lamora. Really good so far!
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

PreviousNext

Return to Black Library Products and Announcements