Skip to content

What Are You Reading?

An area for the discussion of current or pending Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Aristedes Colettas wrote:Finished reading The Honoured. Anyone know if there are still Word Bearers in Calth’s underground left during M41/42?

Nope. The Ultramarines made damn sure of it.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Squiggle » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:38 pm

just finished Nemesis by the excellent Mr Swallow. Decent read all told. Some excellent sections and some parts slightly pedestrian but overall a good addition to the Horus Heresy series.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Xisor » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:41 am

Squiggle wrote:just finished Nemesis by the excellent Mr Swallow. Decent read all told. Some excellent sections and some parts slightly pedestrian but overall a good addition to the Horus Heresy series.

Oh heck, I'd quite forgotten that there's overlap between Nemesis and the Garro stories: time to set Garro aside and re-read Nemesis! 8-)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby ribbons69 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Xisor wrote:
Squiggle wrote:just finished Nemesis by the excellent Mr Swallow. Decent read all told. Some excellent sections and some parts slightly pedestrian but overall a good addition to the Horus Heresy series.

Oh heck, I'd quite forgotten that there's overlap between Nemesis and the Garro stories: time to set Garro aside and re-read Nemesis! 8-)

I read Nemesis when it was first released and now have absolutely no idea what it's about. I too have the hardback of Garro on the to read pile as well.
we fall to rise
ribbons69

Postby Squiggle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:39 pm

well I enjoyed it. not up to speed with the garro stories at this point. now on whatever is next in the series!

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:32 pm

Finished Unburdened.

Currently reading Atlas Infernal by Rob Sanders. About 70 pages in and so far amazing especially the battle with the Deathwatch and the Harlequins. Read that battle twice. Amazing. I don’t know how everyone else feels but Rob Sanders rights so much detail and description on other events in relation to his characters that almost cries out for those stories to be written.

Loving it so far. I also picked up Carrion Throne and Emperor’s Legion and Dante recently. Chomping at the bit to read those.

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Squiggle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:24 pm

yep I'm a big fan of Rob Sanders. need to reread atlas infernal

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Xisor » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Man, I love Atlas Infernal. I totally get what you mean, Aristedes, his stories are jam-packed full of detail and casual mentions of other things; it really evokes a hugely intricate universe half-glimpses in the background of the story.

I know a few folk find that disrupts the flow of the stories so much that they find it lessens the enjoyment of a story, but for my tastes the opposite is true. Matt Farrer's novels manage the same intricate details in a similar way (and the second book of his Shira Calpurnia series manages not only to be my favourite BL novel, but my favourite novel outright!).

----

I raced through the last quarter of "Nemesis"; what an overwhelmingly good book it is. I used to agree with folks that it was the prototypical "average" book in the Horus Heresy - better than half, but not as good as the greats. I'm very doubtful of that now!

Anyone looking to revisit something unusual would do well to re-read it.

----

I've been dabbling in "Watchers of the Throne" a bit at a time, but I'm keen to conclude Garro before forging on with that and giving it my full attention.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:26 pm

Xisor wrote:Man, I love Atlas Infernal. I totally get what you mean, Aristedes, his stories are jam-packed full of detail and casual mentions of other things; it really evokes a hugely intricate universe half-glimpses in the background of the story.

I know a few folk find that disrupts the flow of the stories so much that they find it lessens the enjoyment of a story, but for my tastes the opposite is true. Matt Farrer's novels manage the same intricate details in a similar way (and the second book of his Shira Calpurnia series manages not only to be my favourite BL novel, but my favourite novel outright!).

---

I've been dabbling in "Watchers of the Throne" a bit at a time, but I'm keen to conclude Garro before forging on with that and giving it my full attention.

Agreed! Some of the best parts of 40k novels are the little details that really bring the universe to life around you, and authors like Matt Farrer and Rob Sanders, and Chris Wraight, really excel at doing that stuff. Josh Reynolds does for AoS as well and what 40k he's written. I think one of the benefits of writing in an established universe like 40k is that you don't have to try and cram an entire universe of detail into a single series of novels, you can do it across a lot of different series and trilogies.

You should definitely. The Emperor's Legion is fantastic once it really gets going, but even before that because it's extremely fascinating to finally see a glimpse of how the 40k Lords of Terra function, what the Custodes have become ten thousand years after their dream died and the state of the Sisters of Silence which to me proved that the Imperium really doesn't learn from its past mistakes at all.

Finished the final novel in Peter V. Brett's phenomenal Demon Cycle quintology, The Core, earlier today and it was a hell of a ride. Simply a brilliant series of books that ended on a high note, with not a single weak entry in the whole collection. I'll be meeting the man himself on Friday afternoon and getting them all signed (yaay!) and i'll be making it a point to tell him that they are some of the best fantasy I've ever read. Can't wait to see what he writes next.

Next up i'm returning to Leigh Bardugo's Grishaverse with The Language of Thorns, a beautifully coloured and illustrated collection of in-universe myths and fairy tales.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Squiggle » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:35 am

Currently reading The Human Legion by the normally excellent John Scalzi. Its part of the Old Man's War series of books which are uniformly great.

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Shaggy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:06 am

Just finished Chris Wraight's most excellent "Watchers Of The Throne : The Emperor's Legion"... and I thoroughly recommend it.

This works on several levels... Chris Wraight does seem to be very good at writing the non-combat side of 40K, so much so that I'm really looking forward to "The Carrion Throne" coming out in paperback. For some reason, the political side in 40K fascinates me (for me, it was the best part of the entire "The Beast Arises" series) and CW does it well. The evolution of the character of Tieron within just this one book shows that.

And then there are Aleya and Valerian... two virtually-unique viewpoints and a much deeper examination of the Custodians and Sisters that we have encountered to date (obviously this is mainly down to them finally being looked at game-wise first in HH and now 40K, but even so...). I was particularly intrigued by the non-combat side of the Custodians... there could be a lot to work with there.

One slightly-jarring note - although I have to admit that it is consistent with the overall direction that things are moving with GW - is that this is one of the more extreme examples of what I suppose you would call a rather negatively deconstructionist analysis of the Astartes. It's an almost dual-personality attitude from GW... the Space Marines are still their flagship 'product' (especially with the new Primaris Marines) but - in BL offerings especially - there appears to be a campaign to almost denigrate them at every opportunity. CW certainly doesn't hold back here, even though there is very little contact with Astartes... although he's a bit gentler with one particular chapter than the rest, for obvious (when you read it) reasons.

I sincerely hope that there's going to be more like this...
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:35 am

Finished Atlas Infernal. Three pretty sensational battles Deathwatch v Harlequins, Czevak and company v Grey Knights and Harlequins. More Czevak please Mr. Rob Sanders.

Now back to the Horus Heresy Book 33 – War Without End – Various Authors

Cheers :D
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:27 pm

My God - Jack Vance I haven't read: The Dark Side of the Moon.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Pausing reading War Without End at the The Harrowing story by Rob Sanders.

In light of the recently announced Sons Of The Hydra by Rob Sanders, I am going to go on a mini reading spree based on the Alpha Legion starting with Horus Heresy Book 7 – Legion by Dan Abnett

Cheers 8-)
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Rob P » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Finished The Fireman a few days ago. Really good read, but perhaps ruined by shows like the Walking Dead. Not quite as good (perhaps for aforementioned reason) as N05 4R2, but would still recommend.

Currently 25 or so pages into Dolly by Susan Hill.
Rob P

Postby Shaggy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:38 pm

After the recent death of Jerry Pournelle, revisiting an old favourite with him collaborating with Larry Niven (the two of them were almost joined at the hip!)... "Oath Of Fealty". Centred around an arcology newly built on the outskirts of Los Angeles... perhaps the very first shadowing of the 40K hive worlds?
It has dated, yes... but still a good read. And that immortal line - "Think of it as evolution in action".
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Night's Sorceries, Tanith Lee.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Xisor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:11 am

Can't get over how good "Watcher of the Throne" was. Extraordinary book.

----

Onto "Malodrax" now, great to be seeing a bit of daft /old school Imperial Fists chaplaining again. More: Ben's Chaos. Tremendous to see.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Xisor wrote:Can't get over how good "Watcher of the Throne" was. Extraordinary book.

----

Onto "Malodrax" now, great to be seeing a bit of daft /old school Imperial Fists chaplaining again. More: Ben's Chaos. Tremendous to see.

About halfway through Watchers of the Throne myself and there's an awful lot to like. Keen to get back to it.

Nice to see you're on Malodrax, one of my fav books so far this year.

Enough chit chat, what have I been reading I hear you cry. Over my lunches I've been making slow but steady progress on Seventh Retribution, which is improving as it goes along though is somewhat rougher round the edges than Malodrax.

In the evenings I've been dipping into Trial by Blood. Rather better so far than I thought it would be.
Major Rawne

Previous

Return to Black Library Products and Announcements