What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Xisor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:04 am

Deathwatch 2: Deathwatcher was quite good, all told. Really enjoyed a lot of the details and focus, with one of the chapters about 2/3 through being utterly delicious. Slightly vexed by the ending, but then I think GW could still learn *a lot* from TBA. We've yet to see that circle closed.

I leapt into "Fire And Ice" by Peter Fehervari shortly after and found it absolutely excellent. Absurd to think I'd been putting it off for so long.

Nipped through "Soulfuel" on Saturday evening too - perfectly enjoyable action romp. Generally prefer less action more talkiness, but the opportunity to play around with Sisters of Battle in fiction is always welcome, especially when displaying their horrific religio-facist monstrosity.

And then, today, on to a certain "Resurrection" by John French.

So far, so
=][=
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Almost at the end of Death of Integrity, which shall be finished off tonight. On the whole it's a very good space marine romp. I've particularly enjoyed the language of how the Novamarines and Blood Drinkers talk to one another, and even to a certain extent how they talk to the Mechanicus. It's not something we get to see much of in BL.

Decided to stick with Space Marine Battles, as I have quite a few to get through now, and hop right in to Malodrax over lunch. I'm on the fence about this one as it's Imperial Fists and they're usually a bit rubbish. Hopefully it isn't so bad that I put off Seventh Retribution till next year, i'm trying to play a little catch on some of the old stuff I have.

Other reads recently has been a catch up on some comics with Birthright, Paper Girls & Manifest Destiny.
Major Rawne

Postby Rob P » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:13 pm

Finished The Bone Collector early in the week and gave me the bug for more Lincoln Rhymes.

The read a dark short story collection from Kyrobooks which was ok.

Next moved on to Lincoln Rhymes 2: the coffin dancer. Really clever. I am in awe of the intricacy of it.

Currently on to the Opanishads. Really into it, but also ready for Lincoln Rhymes 3. Planned holiday reading ruined!
Rob P

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Finished Red Path – Bloody Good

Back to the Horus Heresy Book 32 – Deathfire – by Nick Kyme
Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Nemesis Games, James S A Corey.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Rob P » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:31 pm

On to Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick. It's almost certainly ghost written by someone like Libby Hawker, but it's done in such a 'real' feeling way that I don't care.
Rob P

Postby David Earle » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:51 am

Did a reread of Talon of Horus over the weekend and I'm now firmly ensconced in Black Legion. Oh Khayon, you bloody Tizcan. :P
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:56 am

Finished Deathfire. Loved this novel by Nick Kyme. Would love to see more stories on Vulkan. I read the Beast Arises Series as well and would like to see his story up until M42 so far since he’s essentially immortal. I hope Roboute Guilliman finds him.
I am also intrigued by the Knights Errant(proto Grey Knights). Would love to see more stories about them and their mysterious ways of how they came about. (have yet to read Garro and Silent War – hopefully stories about them in there.)

I have had this on my shelf for awhile (I seem to have many of these LOL)

Reading Space Marines Battles - Gilder Rift – by Sarah Cawkwell
Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Aristedes Colettas wrote:Finished Deathfire. Loved this novel by Nick Kyme.

Wow, that sure is high praise for a book roundly damned from most quarters. You're right though that it would be neat to see more of Vulkan, there's some interesting potential around him.

For myself I'm still plodding away with Malodrax. So far so good. Whilst I think I can see how the story is going to pan out, a pretty standard Space Marine revenge story, some of what Ben is doing with chaos and the warp is brilliant. It's all that good and wonderfully imaginative stuff he does so well, more than the usual "Rawr, look at me i'm chaos and evil and stuff, rawr!".
Major Rawne

Postby ribbons69 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:46 pm

David Earle wrote:Did a reread of Talon of Horus over the weekend and I'm now firmly ensconced in Black Legion. Oh Khayon, you bloody Tizcan. :P

I preordered the Limited edition as soon as it was available. I've not even had an email to say that it's been dispatched yet.
we fall to rise
ribbons69

Postby David Earle » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Sorry to hear that. I went with the eBook and it became available on Saturday.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Drood, Dan Simmons.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Major Rawne » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:01 am

Finished up the little gem that was Malodrax last night. Whilst it drifted a little in the last third /quarter it really ended up being a cracking read that made a change from top usual Space Marine Battles books. Very focused on Lysander rather space marines shooting everything up.

Moving on to Deathwatch by Steve Parker next. A book that has probably say on my shelf for far too long given the praise for it.
Major Rawne

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:13 am

Reading Black Legion currently, it's fantastic!

David Earle wrote:Did a reread of Talon of Horus over the weekend and I'm now firmly ensconced in Black Legion. Oh Khayon, you bloody Tizcan. :P

Surely his Tizcan qualities are virtues, not flaws? :lol:

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:19 pm

Finished off Resurrection - really tremendous. Between it an Carrion Throne, I feel thoroughly spoiled. Tempted to nip back and follow Rawne on Malodrax, but I've also got "Eye of Medusa" started as I was at a loose end with only ebooks a week or two back. So as I've heard nobody talk about it, and the start is cracking (if miserable), I'm keen to crack on with it.

David Guymer has done some terrific stuff just in the first chapter or two. Really impressive.

----

In physical book land, I'm also getting into Stanislaw Lem's Solaris. So far, so good!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Xisor wrote:Finished off Resurrection - really tremendous. Between it an Carrion Throne, I feel thoroughly spoiled. Tempted to nip back and follow Rawne on Malodrax, but I've also got "Eye of Medusa" started as I was at a loose end with only ebooks a week or two back. So as I've heard nobody talk about it, and the start is cracking (if miserable), I'm keen to crack on with it.

David Guymer has done some terrific stuff just in the first chapter or two. Really impressive.

I've written my thoughts on that one here (http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/bla ... uymer.html). Guymer's Iron Hands are strikingly memorable, though I think among fans they'll be polarizing. Either people will love the portrayal of them here, or they'll hate it.

Finished Black Legion last night, another absolutely brilliant offering from Aaron DB. Admittedly not quite as good as Talon of Horus, though that is simply because of what happens in the final chapters of the latter. That said a certain choice ADB made this time around, to have an important scene happen off-screen, didn't work for me. It was still a powerful moment, but having it recalled by Khayon isn't the same as it actually happening on the page. Still though a fantastic book that easily fits among the best of Black Library. Now we wait for Book 3, and hope that ADB still plans to make this a long-running series.

Next either The Devious Dr. Jekyll by Viola Carr or Metro 2033 by Dmitri Glukhovsky. Will make my decision in a little while.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:25 am

Raced through to the end of Deathwatch moments ago. Pretty decent, but spent far too long on the set up.

Onto Age of Voodoo by James Lovegrove next. Another one of his pantheon series, so hopefully it will be good.
Major Rawne

Postby Major Rawne » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Banged my way through Age of Voodoo. Another excellent addition to James's Pantheon series, even if it could have had a little more voodoo rituals thrown in.

Jumping into Dante from Guy Haley now. Short story at the start down, which was a brilliantly dark tale with the Angels Vermillion.
Major Rawne

Postby Rob P » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Ooh, Angels Vermillion. Are they the ones that don't remove their helmets?

Reading The Empty Chair aka Lincoln Rhymes book 3. Grim death already
Rob P

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:20 am

Rob P wrote:Ooh, Angels Vermillion. Are they the ones that don't remove their helmets?

That's the Angels Sanguine. The Angels Vermillion are the Chapter that isolate themselves from the rest of Sanguinius's bloodline, the short story in the FE Dante explains exactly why that is.

Decided to pause my reading of The Devious Dr. Jekyll, which is entertaining but very very slow to read (it's been three days and i'm only 160 pages in, for me that's glacial!), to start Lucius: The Faultless Blade by Ian St. Martin. Dying to see if Lucius really is as repulsive as he appears from other characters perspectives.

LotN
Lord of the Night

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events