Skip to content

What Are You Reading?

An area for the discussion of current or pending Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Mussbello » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Recently finished both the Guilliman and Russ Primarch books. I enjoyed Russ more mainly due to some fantastic interactions between the Lion and Leman.

I have went right on to the Magnus book and I feel this will be my favourite so far. I really like McNeills writing ( Fulgrim is my favourite Heresy novel ) and thus far the characters of Magnus and Perturabo have been very enjoyable reading.
Mussbello

Postby Xisor » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Aristedes Colettas wrote:Finished Damnation Of Pythos. Crazy Finish.

I have had this on the shelf for quite awhile.
Reading Hammer & Bolter Presents - XENOS HUNTERS - Deathwatch Stories. My favourite.
Cheers 8-)

Oaft, if memory serves there's some crackers in amongst that lot. Is it the batch that has the Kryptman short by Rob Sanders?

----

I'm almost done with "Dark Imperium". It's a surprisingly well done novel. Not surprising, I suppose, as Guy's a fine writer, but mostly in the strange places that impressed me: the Guardsmen on Iax, the rather slower (but short) descriptive pieces (e.g. washing the platforms on Iax), the debate with Calgar at the museum siege... There's some utterly terrific bits to it.

Of course, it's damning that the Primaris are just irritating me. But I think that's much more to do with me being grouchy and little to do with the words on the page!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Yes Xisor the Rob Sanders story with Kryptmann is in it. Still reading the first story Machine Spirit by Gav Thorpe.
Aristedes Colettas

Postby ribbons69 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Finished Traitor General, now rereading Helsreach for some light relief.
we fall to rise
ribbons69

Postby Duke_Leto » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:59 pm

ribbons69 wrote:Finished Traitor General, now rereading Helsreach for some light relief.

Traitor General ... What a simply awesome book!
Duke_Leto

Postby Major Rawne » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Finished up Mephiston: Lord of Death. Struggled with the tense on this one and it felt very much like a story I've read before with regards to Mephiston and his struggles with his darker side. Whilst a decent read I did much David's Lemartes much more.

Next read is Death of Integrity. So far a neat start, loved the ceremony between the Novamarines and Blood Drinkers meeting.
Major Rawne

Postby David Earle » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:27 am

I just finished The Martian, which is good enough to have a movie with Matt Damon made out of it; and started Ready Player One, which I'm not sure is good enough for a Spielberg film. We shall see or else I'll drop it.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Major Rawne wrote:Finished up Mephiston: Lord of Death. Struggled with the tense on this one and it felt very much like a story I've read before with regards to Mephiston and his struggles with his darker side. Whilst a decent read I did much David's Lemartes much more.

Reading that myself at the moment, very much enjoying the way Hinks describes the Librarium of the Arx Angelicum, it's incredibly gothic and creepy, and Mephiston just being an absolute psychic juggernaut in battle.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby ribbons69 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:53 pm

I finished Helsreach on Saturday evening then stated and finished His Last Command on Sunday. I honestly cannot recall a time that I have read a complete novel in only one day. And I've been reading a long time! Moved on to the Hatchette version of James Swallow's Faith and Fire now,a novel that I haven't read before. Half way in and enjoying it, a lot of echoes of Eisenhorn I feel, not that that is a bad thing of course.
we fall to rise
ribbons69

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Back to the Horus Heresy

Reading Book 31 Horus Heresy – Legacies Of Betrayal Various Authors. :o
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Mussbello » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Recently finished the Magnus and Perturabo Primarchs novels and am now up to date on this series.

I feel the first 4 books in this line have been very good and fitted well with the wider Heresy setting. I have particularly enjoyed books 3 and 4 - Magnus and Perturabo - liked the characterisation, dialogue, foreshadowing and the Hrud in the latter book.

I am now reading Shattered Legions. Dan's opening story the highlight so far.
Mussbello

Postby Rob P » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Finished The Vagrant. Good read.

Bit of dystopian fantasy and a bit of steampunk - in a road trip.

Pros:
- Easy read with short chapters and clear character switches
- Interesting mix of characters and villains (?)
- Nature and intereaction of villains has load of potential going forward
- Tidy plot
- Good use of flashbacks
- A couple of good emotive scenes are chucked in there

Cons:
- Dipped a little at the ending - didn't feel like a satisfying conclusion (good set up for the sequel though)
- A couple of the scenes were not as clear as they could have been (Vesper POV scenes?)

Will read the sequel in the near future.

----------

What next?
Rob P

Postby Vivia » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:17 pm

After watching a few The Witcher 3 LP, I'm reading previews of the books the games are based on. Blood of Elves is only 9 SEK on iTunes and that's the first one I bought, for such a low price I can take chances. Maybe it's a summer sale, I'm certain I saw the books were 99 SEK and now they're only 69 crowns.

They don't have that much in common with the games except for the characters. They aren't bad, my biggest problem is with the writing style. I had a lot of problem with R.A Salvatore's Drow series for the same reason. Exclamation points! Everywhere! He did describe the male characters physical attributes very frequently, I didn't mind that.

The stories are also confusing, not sure what the books want to be. Are they a parody of fairy tales? Mock Tolkien novels? There are chapters with a lot of nothing, I don't mind skipping quite a lot. They're underwhelming if compared to the TW3 game, they did much to improve the plot and characters.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:44 pm

David Earle wrote:I just finished The Martian, which is good enough to have a movie with Matt Damon made out of it; and started Ready Player One, which I'm not sure is good enough for a Spielberg film. We shall see or else I'll drop it.

Funny, I think I got more out of the book than the film.

Anyways, I'm now about Across the Nightingale Floor, Lian Hearn.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Athelassan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Vivia wrote:He did describe the male characters physical attributes very frequently, I didn't mind that.

I'm sure you didn't! :roll: ;)

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Shaggy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Went to Warhammer World last week to pick up a couple of books, and stumbled across the paperback release of "Carcharadons : Red Tithe" by Robbie MacNiven - I'd completely forgotten about this one, so was chuffed to pick it up.
It's a good read... lots of ambiguity about the sharky ones, especially pitting them against the Night Lords... one could almost think they were related... ;) Also a few subtle hints about how much the Inquisition may or may not know about them... a decent piece of work. Definitely going to be keeping an eye out for Mr MacNiven in the future.

Now stepping away from BL for a bit... because I've just got hold of (sadly the electronic copy only) of Charles Stross "The Delerium Brief" - the latest Laundry Files novel. I'm only 3 chapters in, and already I'm hooked - as expected. And yes... after the past couple of books being from the viewpoints of Mo The Demon Violinist and Alex The PHANG - we're back to Bob! :D Along with the best ever explanation for the Eater Of Souls description (damn near dropped my tablet laughing at that one!).
If you've never read any Stross... I thoroughly, absolutely recommend the Laundry Files books... snarky, cynical, hilarious, worrying, stomach-churning in places and just very, very good. If you do, though... you're never going to look at a CCTV camera in the same way again!
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Postby Xisor » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Pootling away at "Jain Zar" - it's extraordinary. Really delicious reading from Gav.

Unusually (but perhaps forseeably) there's a lovely piece of imagery on here - a pair of post-apocalyptic idealists inexplicably setting forth on a creepy, depressing "adventure". There's a strong edge of "The Artilleryman" from Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds to it (but, out of the story and even in the story's second fiddle - the "modern" day piece - we know it works!).

If anything, I could stomach it entirely being a story of Jain Zar and Asurmen faffing about post apocalyptically, with none of the other trappings.

That said, those other bits are very good too. A very fine read so far!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:01 pm

Currently reading The Power by Naomi Alderman. Good so far, but a bit too on the nose.
Rob P

Postby Vivia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Athelassan wrote:
Vivia wrote:He did describe the male characters physical attributes very frequently, I didn't mind that.

I'm sure you didn't! :roll: ;)

Ath

Salvatore is totally in love with Jarlaxe, he cannot not mention his abs and what nots every time he is in the limelight. Calm down, author! :)

I finished Lady of the Lake and Blood of Elves, moved on to Tower of the Swallow. Yes, I finished the last book first. It doesn't matter in which order to read them, the "plot" is so repetitive that is matters little, they're very self-contained. I could follow the story anywhere in the books with little effort.

The Lady of the Lake felt like a total f-u to the readers, I thought it was suspicious seeing Sir Galahad in the first chapter. Yes, that Sir Galahad. How was the plot getting to this? It wasn't interesting enough to get upset over the mess that was the last chapter. First, I was like, this is hilarious, then it was death and carnage! I don't know what the hell happened, but it was unintentionally over the top silly. :lol:

But omg, the language.
:|
The flavour of the books are very fan fiction, a 1990s fantasy nerd trying to stick it to the genre, too bad he isn't a good writer. The writer suffers from word diarrhea, name-dumping, scattered plot, random events that adds nothing to the story and massive dialogue dumps. It's like he combines the worst traits of Stephen King and Lovecraft. I get it that writers love to write, but that's not necessarily a good thing. All I think about is where was the editor. At one point in Blood of the Elves I felt like someone hit me in the head, I was going cross-eyed from reading the "prose".
The style actually reminds me of Jack Vance, but without the charm and wit. Every character is flawed, criminal and dirty. I believe there is dark humour, but it's mostly just weird. Weird is a very good description of these books.

The plot, if there is any, is very repetitive: Ciri, the main character, is a Chosen One. I have read the last book so I know that this leads to a big NOTHING. 5 books and nothing. Despite this she is still by far my favourite character.
The witcher is nothing more than a walking trope of a fantasy character. I love that the novels present him like this: oh, but he is despised and hated by all! Zomg! But omg, he is so awesome! I read he is a deconstruction of a male character. Eh, wut. He is a Gary Stu all the way. XDD

I love that Sapkowski doesn't think the games are canon. Dude, they improved the stories 100%, you should be grateful. They took the best parts and made it interesting.
Play the games, it's worth their money, buying the entire book series costs around the same as the games.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:36 am

Chun the Unavoidable wrote:
David Earle wrote:I just finished The Martian, which is good enough to have a movie with Matt Damon made out of it; and started Ready Player One, which I'm not sure is good enough for a Spielberg film. We shall see or else I'll drop it.

Funny, I think I got more out of the book than the film.

Anyways, I'm now about Across the Nightingale Floor, Lian Hearn.

I apologise: I'm getting Ready Player One (which I haven't read) mixed with Live, Die, Repeat. Don't ask for an explanation, I fear what the answer might be.
Chun the Unavoidable

PreviousNext

Return to Black Library Products and Announcements